Camden, cont.

"Here, hold him," Andrew stretches out his arms, handing me his tiny, one-day old son. My brother's eyes are sunken in, tired from passing his thirty-sixth straight hour of being awake. "Go on, you're the godfather. You better get used to this. You guys will be friends in no time," he says, smiling weakly at his me. Right now, our relationship is on the rocks.

I swallow and cradle the small, bald little boy in my thick arms. His eyes are open and he's staring straight up at me. Andrew made a stupid decision with a stupid woman, but it's not the kid's fault. I can't imagine being so young and having this kind of responsibility, but then again, I'm only 16. My brother made it through high school, although there were times it seemed he'd never graduate.

Maybe I'm just more observant than other kids my age, but it seems to me attachments lead to mistakes. My brother's slow unravel started years ago. He's done drugs and hung with the wrong crowds for years, but Jenna sped up his decline. I think I'm losing my brother a little more each day, and it's killing me.

My thoughts are interrupted by Chase's cries. His tiny cheeks flame red as he gasps for new breaths. I frown and stand up awkwardly.

"Um, your kid doesn't like me," I say, cringing at Andrew and handing Chase to my Mom.

"Maybe it's that dirty hat you're wearing," my Dad mutters and I tug it down lower to cover my eyes.

"He's proud of his team, Henry. Relax," Mom sighs. "And he should be. A sophomore starting pitcher on the varsity team?" She smiles at me and I send her a grateful smile. Nothing I do seems to really matter compared to Andrew and Jenna. Most people are too wrapped up in mistakes to see accomplishments in this family. At least I have my Mom; she makes it a little easier to be a Fox.

My dad doesn't usually discourage; his normal method of parenting is just ignoring.

"Its fine, I need to leave for practice, anyway," I say, twisting my car keys on my finger as I head toward the door.

"Camden...." Andrew calls, following me out into the hospital hall. "I know this is weird. Things are going to be different now. They have to be, but..."

"Things have been different for a while," I tell him, shrugging. "I hate to say I told you so, but I kind of did," I say. "You don't have to stay with her just because you had a kid. She's no good for you. You are so much better without her."

"What kind of man would that make me, Camden? I'm barely a man. I'm twenty years old. This is my life now....Jenna and my son. What don't you understand about that?"

"I'm sixteen and even I can see how this is going to end," I say, shaking my head. "You two were high the night you got her pregnant. Drugs, Andrew. I thought you were better than that now You're my older brother. I'm supposed to look up to you, but nothing here is admirable," I say shaking my head. "You're a mess and I won't be like you," I add as I start to walk away.

"I made a mistake!" He says chasing after me. "I slipped up! I haven't done drugs in nine months. I'm better. I am. This is the responsible thing to do. I'm assuming my responsibility. I care about her. We're a family. Family doesn't drop family."

"Can't you assume your responsibility without her? You're setting yourself up for failure, marrying that woman. Yes, people make mistakes. I get that. What I don't get is why you're still making the same mistake. You an still be a good father and not be with her. You already let her screw up your life...do your kid a favor and don't let her screw up his life, too. Be a good dad. Be the Dad our Dad wasn't to us as kids."

I walk quickly down the hall, pushing the elevator button until the doors ding open and I'm alone. I pull off my hat and let my head fall back against the elevator wall. This is my life now. Andrew's carelessness led to responsibility, but his decision to stay with Jenna will be his destruction.