Harper, cont.

"What are you doing here?" Avery asks me sadly.

"I'm here with my friend. You might know his nephew, Chase Fox?" I say.

I know what's about to happen. I know that smile playing on Avery's lips; she's like family to me and she knows how I work. The last time she saw me, I was buried in a corner with a guy; now I'm sort of seeing a guy with a kid. Big difference.

Avery smiles, but she doesn't call me out on it.

"Yes, Chase is a frequent visitor in my office, unfortunately," My eyes widen in worry."He's a sweet boy, just a little off track. I understand though, given his family situation,"

Her eyes tell me she might know more than I do.

"Yeah well, we're working on him. I really think he means well," I say without thinking. Is this how I feel? I've subconsciously taken him under my wing. 

"We?" Avery's eyes light up. "Is the uncle more of a friend than a friend, if you know what I mean?"

"It's complicated, as most things are with me," she swallowed. "But you know why, and Camden doesn't," I whisper. "Not yet."

"You can't hide it forever, Harper. This is the first time you've seemed so involved with someone since my brother,"

I hold my hand up to stop her. "I've thought about Rhys enough today. This thing with Camden is still so new. I'm afraid I'll fall for him and run away," I tell her honestly. "He mixes me up, Av," my voice begins to shake, but I won't cry. Not again. "This is so different than it even was with Rhys. I tell myself that, but it's hard to remember sometimes,"

"And Chase?" she asks seriously. "You're okay with that? You're not heading for the hills because he has a teenager?"

"I want to be okay with it," I say simply. "They might be the game changer. It's like I'm getting a redo at life," I admit.

"Oh, Harper..." she pulls me into another hug, but our conversation ends when Camden and Chase appear before us. His bottom lip is swollen and split. He has two black eyes and blood stains below his nose.

I feel sick, looking at him. It's easy to laugh and joke with him. It's easy to tell him right from wrong. But seeing him in pain isn't easy for me. It scratches at my memories; it brings things to the surface I don't want to see. Before Chase...before Camden...I would've run at the first sign of this. But I find myself feeling the opposite right now. Maybe what I've been waiting for so long is a chance to feel like I'm needed again.

I can't explain what pushes me forward, but my arms wrap around Chase and I pull him into a silent hug. I've never hugged him before, but the sad, lost look in his face tells me he needs it this time. "Why are you doing this, Chase?" I ask him.

Why do men always feel like they have something to prove?

He brings his arms up slowly around me, and I see Camden watching us out of the corner of my eye. Chase's eyes drop to his feet when I release him. Have I embarrassed him? I look up at Camden, who's staring at me in wonder.

"It was so nice to see you," I say to Avery. "Say hi to Mason for me," I add, leaning in for a quick hug. I made some huge mistakes when it came to my friendship with her, and it wasn't easy to come out of as tragic as what we went through. But the minute it happened, we were bonded again, as if nothing had come between us at all.

"You know Mrs. Daniels?" Chase asks as we walk away. I nod.
Camden frowns, confused. He wants to know how I know her, too.
"We're old friends from high school," I say simply. It's all I can manage.