Camden, cont.

Half an hour later we're stepping over the threshold of my childhood home. The entryway is quiet and empty; Mom hasn't seen us yet and Chase is still fiddling with something in the car.

Harper's eyes scan the blood red walls and cathedral ceilings. To say this place is intimidating would be an understatement; it feels more like a museum than a home.

Harper's left hand slides into mine. The car ride over was tense and quiet, but I know we'll be okay. This simple touch tells me so.

"Camden..." she says softly. "I don't want to fight, not here, not anywhere. We have some serious things to talk about. But it doesn't mean I'm not on your side, I'm always on your side," she whispers.

I smile, afraid to say the wrong thing.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks, her eyes locking on mine.

"You," I tell her simply. "Mostly you...but also how this place never really felt like home...ever..." My heart pounds. "I moved out as soon as I could, when I was old enough. Look at it,"

My eyes float along the detailed wood of the curio cabinet, the perfectly polished hardwood floors. "I was afraid to touch anything as a kid...."

"You're not a kid anymore," she whispers, pressing her free hand to my heart.

"To him I am," I snort. "And in a few minutes, when we sit down at that table, he'll remind me of it all over again. I can promise you that,"

"He looks at me and sees nothing," I admit softly. I'm showing her my vulnerable side, and I hope she understands how big that is. How much I love her.

"Well he's wrong," she says with certainty. "And we won't stand for it,"

"I love your enthusiasm, but that's all easier said than done," I smile.

"I'm willing to go home, if you still want to. Say the words and we're gone....we'll go in the car, drive away and call. They'll never know we even got here..."

My heart pounds against her hand. I'm ready to speak, ready to say 'yes,' I want to leave...that I just want to lock myself in a room with her and purge all of these big emotions...but I never get the chance.

"Oh, you're here," Mom squeals as she runs up to us, breaking the tension. I stare at her for a moment, wondering just how much she heard. But her eyes are clear and free of worry, and her smile is broad. "Where's Chase?"

"In the car," Harper says with a frown, her hand falling from my chest. "I'll check on him," she says, sending me a small smile as she steps away from me.

"So glad to see you've brought Harper," Mom beams. "I'd like to get to know her,"

"I'd like that, too," I smile.

"But is it safe for me to get attached? I don't want to stir up trouble, but my personal relationship with Jenna hasn't been the best. We tolerate, not adore that one," she admits. "I still can't believe what you said. I never thought I'd hear you say you wanted that, Camden...but she's lovely and sweet, and down the line, I could see..."

Oh, shit. Not her, too.

"About that, Mom, we need to talk," I start, but she interrupts and I'm afraid to push.

"It'll be nice to have a woman at family parties that I have something in common with....that being you. And if in a few years it turns into more...well, it'd be beautiful,"

"Okay, Ma..." I smirk, trying to stop her from saying anything else when I see Harper and Chase walk through the door. Chase is shoving something back into his pocket. I meet Harper's gaze and she nods, assuring me no more drama has ensued in the short while they were away.