Harper, cont.

"That was a ball!" Camden shouts, standing up on the bleachers. "Come on. Come ON. Are you serious?"

After about 30 seconds, I tug him back down beside me. It's hot and the sun is still out, but a cool breeze makes it an ideal night for Chase's baseball game. It's the bottom of the eighth and we're down 2-1.

"Harper, that was a ball. Did you see it? I'm a pitcher. I can tell. And because of that shit call, he struck out!" Camden say, settling back down on the metal bench. "Dicks,"

"Camden," I warn, pointing to a group of little kids next to us. A small smile plays on my lips."Little ears,"

"What? Dick is a bad word now? It's a body part! It's like if I said those guys were a bunch of elbows, Harper. Chill out," he says, kissing my forehead. "It's baseball. I get a little wound up!"

"A little? It's a good thing I'm here. If I wasn't, you'd be down there umpiring yourself. They'd be hauling you away kicking and screaming," I laugh.

"Yeah, well, I'd do a damn better job of it," he says, cocking his head to the side.

"Yep...mmmmhmmm," my lips form a knowing smile. "I knew it!"

"What's that little sound supposed to mean?" Camden asks, slipping off my sunglasses and setting them on top of my head.

"It means you're exactly what I thought you would be. You're one of those men,"

I send him a playful look. Today is a much needed breath of fresh air after last night.

My demons are working their way out of my system; I'm fighting them head on and it feels like Camden is going to be right beside me for every second of it.

"Am I now? What kind of man is that, exactly?" he asks. I'm staring at his lips.

"An angry sports dad, or uncle, or whatever," I tease. "You know, I'll bet that girl he likes is here somewhere. You're going to embarrass him,"

"Harper, when do we not embarrass him?" he asks popping peanuts in his mouth and turning his head to face me. "If I were him, I'd be proud to be with us. We're younger and hotter than half these people," he says, lowering his voice and looking around. "Face it, baby. I'm an UILF. You know...an uncle I'd like to fu..."

"Yes, I know what it means," I laugh, rolling my eyes. My hand sneaks into his.

I look down the field to see Chase sitting in the dugout, kicking around the dirt and adjusting his hat.

"So when do we tell him?" I ask. The tip of my fingernail traces along the side of his thumb. 

"You mean about Andrew calling? Or about how we're..." Camden's voice trails off and he squints into the distance. His jaw drops and his eyes narrow when he sees her.

"Well I didn't expect this," he says seriously. I turn to see an older woman walking toward us. "That's my mom. I'll be right back," he says, standing to walk down the bleachers to meet the woman.

My heart pounds. I haven't met his parents, but I've heard a lot about them. His mother is definitely more active in his life than his father, but Camden still feels second best. He's number one to me, though, and I'll be sure to make that clear.

I'm warmed by the sight of him pulling his mother into his arms. He kisses her on the cheek and I can see his lips moving. I can only imagine what he's saying.

Enter panic mode.

What if Janie doesn't like me? We just took that first step last night. I don't want to go backwards or start over again, but there are still things he doesn't know.