Chase

Five Months Later

"Chase, hold up a minute, son," the words crack as they leave my grandfather's lips. I freeze and his hand falls on my shoulder, the touch cold and unfamiliar. For a moment, it feels like I'm staring into the eyes of a stranger instead of my own grandfather.

I've lost respect for him since his argument with Camden, but considering what I just went through in the court room the last few hours, I don't have the energy for more drama.

Nothing this man says will make me regret my decision. He may have loved and supported my biological father from day one, but he lied to and mistreated Camden for years. Chances are, whatever he has to say now isn't going to be news; he probably just wants the final word.

I wait a moment for the sound of disapproval and that cocky, know-it-all smile that always shows up at the worst times. He has a way of making people feel small without saying a word.

"You were good in there," he says, clearing his throat. "Brave," I'm surprised by his admission, but I won't let my guard down yet.

I don't buy it. Grandpa doesn't switch sides. He only thinks about himself and his reputation.

"Thanks," I say, looking down at my dress shoes.

I can't wait to change. The sooner I get back into his jeans and t-shirt, the sooner life gets back to normal. This is the first day of the rest of my life,.

Memories of time spent with my grandfather come rushing back into my head...the dinners and the games he'd tried to play with me when I was younger. Now that his true colors are out for the world to see, I'm left wondering if he would've loved me as much if I'd been Camden's kid.

My guess is no.

"Rough day," he says softly. It feels like unwanted sympathy.

"I'm fine," I say quickly, shaking it off. "I might have been raised by a liar, but I'm not one. I did the right thing. It's finally over,"

I step forward and his hand falls from my shoulder. I can't read the expression in his eyes.

"You really are like Camden, you know," he says seriously. I assume he means that as a bad thing, but the tone of his voice leaves me confused. "The way he is now," he continues. "Independent, moving forward..." he stops, shaking his head. "This family is a shit show, Chase. But I've got to believe that you're going to be okay,"

"I am more okay now than I have ever been," I tell him seriously.

"Maybe for now. This is new and fresh. I'm proud you were honest, but you just lost both parents to a long-term jail sentence. You don't have to pretend that doesn't bother you," he says.

"It makes me angry," I admit. "But their choices are not mine. I have Camden. I have Harper. We are a family. My past is my past; it doesn't have anything to do with my future," I say. It feels amazing.

Suddenly, my grandfather looks old and frail. He's sick, I know. My Dad said something about heart and lung problems. He looks the part now, and even though I don't trust him, I get the sense he's looking for some resolution.

That's what people do when they're sick, isn't it? They try to wrap up everything just in case? I've never thought of my grandfather as a man who cares what others think, but there's a good chance he doesn't want to go to the grave feeling like a complete dick.

I get that.

"Right," he says. He takes a breath as if he's got more to say, but the words never come.