Chapter 2

"Ugh, what was I thinking??!! Agreeing to go to this party with the old crew. What were they going to say or think about the way I look now?

Brace stood staring into the tiny dorm closet just looking at the clothes jammed in there, the clothes she has now were for the person I am now. I am not sure the old crew will recognize  the new me without the baggy clothes. Right now how she longed for those baggy clothes to hide herself in a like suit of armor. No, she mentally shook herself, no more hiding! She picked her phone up and texted her brother, Jake.

"You are bringing a car tonight, right? I am not sure that any of the dresses I have are "bike appropriate" dress."

"Yeah, bringing a car, if I hook up it's hard to take a chick parking on a bike ;-)"

"TMI Jake TMI! There are some things that you don't need to share dear brother!"

" LOL! Don't be such a prude, be there in 45 minutes!"

"KK"

Setting her phone back down she goes back to focusing on her closet , alright I guess if we are doing this than it's go big or go home as she pulled a red sheath dress out. It fits like a second skin, with a deep square cut neckline that gives a good view of her "assets" while the mid-thigh length displays just enough leg without being desperate. Standing in front of the mirror finishing applying her make-up, she surveyed her appearance thinking she passed muster, she hears a horn honk outside knowing Jake has just arrived. Slipping into her strappy, red sandals and grabbing her bag she gave herself a one more once over before she headed down the stairs and out to her waiting brother. Jake looked up from his phone just as she exited the dorm, walking towards the car, a scowl appeared on his face as he got out of the car.

"Absolutely not! Go back and change right now!"

"What? What's wrong with my dress?"

"Besides that you are missing half of it?"

"Jake, seriously! You "date" girls that wear worse!"

"Yeah, they aren't my sister who is going to have men oogling their bits!"

Laying her hand against his cheek, she looked into his eyes.

"I love that you are my over-protective bro, but I am a grown woman and I will wear what I want! And seriously, oogle my bits, what are you 5?

Jake let out a loud sigh as he recognized the stubborn life of her chin and knew that continuing to argue was pointless. Reaching around her he opened the passenger door, extending his arm in a chivalrous manner.

"Your carriage awaits, Madam!"

"Why thank-you kind sir!" Brace said with a wink and a giggle as she got in the car.

The closer they got to the party the more nervous she became, she folded and unfolded her hands in her lap. She hadn't seen these people in over 2 years, what would she say to them? Would they just pick up where they left off or would it be an awkward reunion, her nerves were jangling as they pulled into Ryan's drive she realized it was too late to turn back now that she was going to have to play it out.

"Come on sis" he said opening her door to help her out of the car "I get to walk the hottest girl at the party in!"

"Awww you're so sweet. I forgot why you were my favorite brother, but there it is, flattery that will get you everywhere."

"Hey, I am your only brother!" Jake said laughing.

As she stepped out of the car, Brace makes sure to adjust her skirt making sure it was pulled down, there was a difference between sexy and trashy which was a skirt 2 inches higher. As they walked up the path she noticed a stillness seemed to have come over the party, looking up, she realized all eyes were focused on her.

"Damn Jake, where did you find that hot piece of as..."

"Erik, if I was up I wouldn't finish that sentence if you want to keep all your teeth" Ryan warns.

"Look closely, can't you see who that is?"

"BRACE!!!" came a squeal as her best friend in the world launched herself off the deck and into her arms, hugging her so tight she had trouble catching her breath.

"Topaz, how I've missed you!"

Leaning back she takes a really good look at me...

"Damn girl, there have certainly been some changes! Look at you, hot damn I wanna piece of you. No wonder you got all these boys panting in here!" she looks around noting that more than a couple of the guys were taking notice of the new Brace.

Laughing, "Topaz somethings never change! Your ability to never sugar coat things I truly missed! I can't believe it has been so long since we have talked!"

Grabbing her arm they head into the house, unaware that they were being observed. Lex had been leaning back in the dark corner of the veranda, some nameless woman hanging off his arm eager for the smallest amount of his attention when Jake's car had pulled up.

When she got out of the car it was like a kick in the gut. She had changed while away, she was no longer the shy, tom-boy hiding in baggy clothes, she was all woman and no one could mistake that now. Scowling he realized that no one was missing it! They watched her every move and the way that dress adhered to her like a second skin, they were getting to see it in full lush detail. What the hell was Jake thinking letting her come out dressed like that!

Making his way over to the steps of the veranda after the girls had made their way inside, "What were you thinking?!" Lex barked at Jake as he approached the deck, "letting her come out dressed like that for all the guys to oogle."

"I was thinking she is a grown adult and can make her own decisions! Besides, she had that look, and we both know there is no changing her mind when that happens.

Jake actually found Lex's irritation about Brace's choice of clothing amusing. When they were young most guys were offset by Brace's tom-boy appearance, for them not being able to see past the surface. For the few that were able to see past her defensive armor, getting past Lexon Durham to Brace wasn't worth the risk.

Jake knew Lex had no clue he acted differently around Brace, always had and clearly that hadn't changed. What had changed though, was the guys not realizing  the "hands off" rules still applied to Brace when it came to Lex. Now she was like gas on an open flame! This could be an interest school year all!

Throwing his arm around Lex's shoulders as he continued to glare at the guys staring at Brace as her lush body walked past them and into the house.

"Let's get a beer! I have a feeling we are going to need one." Jake said as they followed the girls into the house.

********************************

Author's Note

Don't hesitate to comment, I will try and respond to all that I get and if you notice errors let me know. I try to edit before I publish but sometimes I miss some things.