Chapter 22

With a scream Brace threw open the door of the SUV, not taking the time to close it she ran to where Lex and Case were in knock down brawl. Mike having seen the fight start from inside grabbed the guys, coming out on the landing as they cheered Lex on.

"Stop, both of you just f*cking stop!!!!" Brace screamed

Neither one paid her any attention, and the crowd was growing. Pete would have to call the cops and Lex would end up back in a cell for god only knows how long, as she didn't have a clue what strike he was on now. Seeing Mike smiling and cheering Lex on she gave him a murderous look and yelled,

"You get your god damn ass down here and help break this shit up or I swear to Jesus I will make you sorry you ever met me!"

Mike seeing her face knew she meant in and while she might be a female he knew better than to mess with her when she was pissed. If she couldn't out power you she would outwit you and he could remember how that had played out for some people in the past who underestimated her. Giving a sigh, he came down off the step and waded out towards the fight.

Just as there was a break between one of the punches being thrown, Brace stepped in between and almost caught the next punch herself before Lex seeing it coming shoved Case to prevent it from connecting causing him to fall to the side. Brace leaned down to check on him, while Mike stepped in to grab Lex pulling him back but Lex wasn't moving. Brace made eye contact, after checking that Case had just superficial wounds,

"Enough Lex!" she gave him a scathing look

He stilled looked pissed as hell and was opening his mouth to say something when Brace cut him off,

"No, you have done enough damage, just go the f*ck home" and with that Brace turned her back on him as she helped Case up from the ground and over to the passenger side of the SUV. She got him inside and took the keys, heading around to the driver's side of the vehicle, she heard the bike start and saw him speed off in the side mirror, her heart breaking all over again as he sped away.  She started the SUV and despite doctor's orders carefully drove them home.

As they arrived home, she came around and helped Case out of the SUV but at this point he has regained his strength so while one eye was swollen closed he was able to get in the house under his own steam. Topaz looked up from the couch when they came through the door, seeing Case she gasped,

"What the hell happened?" Jake questioned

"Can we talk about this later, I just want to go to bed" Brace replied as she got a bag of peas from the freezer for Case's face.

"Brace - " Jake started

"Jake, enough! I said in the morning!" Brace said in irritation and turned on her heel headed down the hall before she broke into a million pieces.

The minute they heard the door close, Jake turned to Case,

"What the f*ck happened tonight?"

"Lex is what happened!" came Case's reply

"I told you to stay out of the middle of them!" Topaz said

"I didn't get in the middle, at least not at first" Case replied

"I warned you how much she meant to him, and you just had to go and pick a fight?"

"No, I didn't all I did was tell him to leave her alone. You might want to remind him how much she means to him though since he was kind enough to show up with whatever that girl's name is,  on the back of his bike at the diner."

"What?! That goddamn bloody idiot!" Topaz hissed

"Topaz calm down! Case, thanks for being there for Brace tonight. I am not sure what Lex is thinking but they will have to straighten it out like adults." was Jake's reply

"Like f*ck-" Topaz started

"Topaz! You know you have to let them figure this out for themselves." Jake said giving her a stern look.

"Fine" she huffed heading towards the kitchen, grabbing her phone quietly off the counter without Jake noticing.

On the pretext of going to the washroom, she texted Lex.

"Of all the god damn stupid things you could do, you show up with that bit of trailer trash on your bike! You didn't bother to even check with HER to see how she was today, and then you do this! Case is right, you don't deserve her!"

She didn't even think twice about it she hit send and left the bathroom. Case having headed to bed with his bag of frozen peas and some medication for a headache that would likely be terrible before morning.

"Let me see what you sent to him?" Jake said when she re-entered the kitchen, holding his hand out for her phone

Starting guiltily, "I don't know what you are talking about." Topaz said not making eye contact when her cell dinged signally she had a new message.

Sighing, she reached into her back pocket and took out her phone. Unlocking it, she looked at Lex's reply and was gratified to see his response,

"Is she alright?"

Perhaps there was hope after all for them. He had no excuses, and hadn't attempted to make any, his concern was strictly on knowing if Brace was alright.  Topaz considered letting him stew with no reply but she knew it would eat him up inside, so she gave him an honest answer and he was going to have to figure what to do make it better.

"Physically, she'll heal. Otherwise she is shattered, and I am not sure about that recovery."

Sighing Topaz put her phone up and hugged Jake, hurting for their friends who could not seem to catch a break in their relationship.

The following morning, Brace was up early and ready to start on her and Case's sight-seeing day, she made no mention of the night before and since Jake and Topaz had their answers they didn't press her for any. Brace enjoyed showing Case the city she grew up in and loved, the local hang outs and tourist attractions, they tried some of her favorite places to eat and overall just had a relaxing day that didn't have to be filled with words or heavy thought as Brace wasn't feeling up to either of those options today.

On Monday, it was back to school for Brace. She was looking forward to finishing up exams in the next two weeks so she could take a break from school and just relax. It seemed like her life was nothing but drama lately and trying to hold it together while focusing on school was taking all her strengths. She wouldn't focus on the fact that she hadn't heard from Lex and apparently neither had Jake or Topaz. Case wasn't oblivious to the fact that Brace was miserable and missing Lex, although he had no desire to help the guy out he would do anything to make sure Brace was happy, including helping mend things with Lex.

By Wednesday, Case had decided they needed to go to the party on Friday to get Brace and Lex in the same location to at least talk things out, for his plan he was going to need Topaz's help. He confided in her his plan of forcing them together at the party, so Topaz's role was to make sure that Brace dressed to kill and didn't give in to her hesitation to not go.

When Friday rolled around, as expect Brace tried to back out but they weren't having any of it, claiming they all needed a night out to unwind. Topaz and Brace stopped out at her dorm room to pick up some outfits and headed back to Brace's parents to get dressed. Ensuring Brace was dressed to kill was easy as her dresses were all tailored for her, so was a lot like shooting fish in a barrel but settled on a gorgeous red number, that couldn't help but draw the eye. It was a wrap around style that cupped and accentuated her breasts while leaving her midriff open, twisting around her back midway down and flowing into the material that made up her skirt, which landed about mid-thigh but did shorten a bit in the center front of the dress. Case gulped, hardly able to take his eyes off her, he hoped that Lex figured out what a lucky man he was or Case was going to beat some sense into him, although seeing her in that dress it shouldn't be too hard for him to figure out unless he was as dumb as a post.

**********************

A/N -  Sorry I know it was a short chapter but comment and let me know what you think and if you like it vote.