Chapter 28

"Lex, where are we going?" Brace asked as they headed down a residential street, that was 1/2 way between her parents and his.

"Just wait and you'll see!" he said smiling he said as he pulled up in front of a house, bringing the SUV to a stop.

"Why are we stopping here?"

Smiling he points to the house outside her window, "Do you remember that house?"

"Do I remem-" she says as she looked back at the house again

Like a light bulb going off in her head, "that is the house that we used to pretend we would own some day as room mates when we were just kids. It had the 2 car garage and white picket fence to keep our dog inside." she said as she looked back at him with a smile

"Well someday has arrived" Lex said with a smile, reaching across to unbuckle her seat belt.

"Wha-" she looked at him and then back at the house quickly, then back to him, "you mean this is your house?"

"No sweetie, this is our house!" He said as he got out and came around the SUV opening the door for Brace to get out.

She was still staring in awe at the house behind him as she let him help her out of the SUV and they started up the path to the house. As they reached the porch, he handed her the key and when she looked at him questioningly, he swung her up in his arms bridal style as they got to the door. Brace unlocked the door and Lex carried her across the threshold and into the living room  letting her body slide down his as he set her down so she could explore. As she took off running from room to room he went to the back door and opening it, grabbed his last surprise off the porch and into his arms.

As she came back into the kitchen her excitement bubbling over, Lex's back still to her as he closed the back door,

"All that's missing is a do-" she started to say as Lex turned around with a puppy in his arms, "eek, she is adorable!"

Running over to Lex she took the puppy from his arms, snuggling him in her arms and sniffing his unique puppy smell.

"What's his name?"

"I thought I would leave that up to you" Lex said with an indulgent smile as he watched her with the puppy.

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!" she said like a child as she walked into his arms.

"You are more than welcome! Now do you want to talk about changing some of the paint colours in here before the New Year and you start back to school?"

"Oh my god yes," she said taking his hand in one of hers while she continued to hold the puppy they walked room to room planning the changes they would make in the next two weeks.

They were excited to get started on their new home and building their lives together, but a whine from Rowan (what she had decided to name the puppy) had them realizing that he had a pressing need that they had to take care of so returned to the back porch and taking him down to the lawn they waited for him to do his business, praising him when he did it quickly and in the proper place. Returning to the house, Brace put Rowan back in his kennel to nap in the living room, then followed Lex back into the kitchen. As she leaned against the counter imagining preparing meals for their family there Lex came up behind her wrapping her in his arms,