Chapter 21

Brace woke up the next morning, disorientated. She wasn't in her bed and the arms holding her while familiar were not the arms she was used to or longing for. The events from the previous night all came crashing back to her, the psycho in the Uber, the hospital, Case and of course Lex with that two bit piece of trash.

Getting up out of bed and trying not to disturb Case, knowing he must be exhausted after his flight and then rescuing her from the hospital likely took its toll. Brace thought back to the hospital, the hurt in Lex's eyes when she ran to Case instead of him, but how could she run to him? His behaviour at the party had her second guessing their, damn it whatever the hell it was!

Quietly exiting her old room, and heading to the kitchen for coffee she met up with Topaz just getting a cup for herself.

"Morning"

"Morning" Topaz turned around with a smile, "figured if you were true to form you would be needing this when you got up."

"You of course know me too well and I would love a cup please." Brace replied

Trying to look around and not make it obvious but true to typical Topaz for she could easily see what Brace was doing and knew why.

"He's not here"

"What, who?" Brace tried to play stupid

"Lex, he left after he went to check on you. Said you were asleep and he would check in on you today."

"Oh-"

Topaz didn't mention that she knew Case had stayed in her room with her or that was what Lex had seen and came back out with fury in his eyes. She was pretty certain after telling her Lex had checked on her that Brace knew he would have seen her with Case.

"Anyway, what are you plans for the day?"

"Not much, thought I would take Case and show him some of the sights. They are here until Christmas so there isn't really a rush to do it so we might just chill and stay in today."

That was exactly what they opted to do. Case thought that Brace had been through enough and should just relax for the day. They watched a bunch of their favorite movies, ate terrible snacks and caught up on everything that was new, and Brace tried her hardest to ignore that Lex didn't call her to check on her. Jake and Topaz checked in periodically to see if either of them needed anything but otherwise it was like old times for Case and Brace. His mother had been whisked away by Brace's parents for an "adult" get away once they were sure that Brace was alright from her ordeal and after being reassured by Case that she was in good hands off they went.

It was about late afternoon when Brace started to get stir crazy from being inside all day, finally convincing Case that they needed to go out and get some supper so she could feel somewhat normal again. She got dressed and wandered out into the kitchen while Case showered, finding Topaz and Jake just coming in the door.

"Hey, I didn't realize you guys would be home for supper, we are just heading out to Pete's to get out of house... I am going a little stir crazy. Wanna come?"

"Umm, no thanks we already ate" came the reply

"Okay, next time" Brace said distractedly as she had taken out her phone and checked again for a missed call or text from Lex.

"Something wrong Brace?" asked Jake

"No nothing, just thought I would have heard from Lex by now to at least see how I was doing" she said with a frown.

"Oh, he called me, and I told him you were fine and just spending the day recuperating" came Jake's reply not seeing the hurt look that came across Brace's face, but Topaz did.