Chapter 27

"You're - You're...Vice..." she stuttered

"Well, not exactly. His son, well I guess his first son that is, Tyler."

"Why?"

"Why? You ruin my life! You called and told my mother about your little fling and she threw my father out! I wasn't athletic or great at school, my father wanted a son he could be proud of to carry on his name, so when he found out about you carrying a boy, he became obsessed!"

Brace had known that calling his wife had been a mistake and had caused her terrible pain but she hadn't even considered the pain she would have caused his children. Such heartbreak because of one childish mistake brought tears to her eyes,

"I am so sorry, if I could go back I never would have made that call to your mother. I was hurting and I lashed out, your mother wasn't at fault and I never should have hurt her."

"My mother was strong she recovered, she re-married and moved away and is happy. I decided to move in with dad, his obsession was obvious and I thought my living with him I could turn his attention to me, but he only wanted you and his other son."

"I'm sorry, I can't take back the past."

"No you're right, so now we are going to take a little drive and you are going to pay for the past. Get up!"

Slowly Brace got up off the floor looking for a break in his attention so that she could make an attempt to get away, but he stood far enough back to be out of her range and that was when she noticed the glint of metal, he had a gun. Gulping Brace turned around to open the door, leading the way out into the hall with Tyler following closely behind, only to see a blur from the corner of her eye as Tyler was tackled. Lex and Tyler rolled across the floor, fighting for control of the gun while Lex yelled at Brace to run, but she couldn't leave him. That was when she heard the sirens coming, and a shot rang out... it was deafening to her ears as she stared in horror at Tyler and Lex tangled on the floor, she let an ear piercing scream out, running to Lex.

"God please no Lex! Please don't be dead! Lex, Please..." Brace cried as she fell down beside him, pulling him off Tyler and into her lap.

He groaned as she moved him, thank god he wasn't dead as she heard pounding foot steps coming up the stairs behind her, she cradled Lex's head in her lap as he opened his eyes.

"I told you to run!" he said

"When have I ever listened to you! I was not leaving you alone when he was here because of me." Brace said as she bent down to kiss him gently

Breaking apart, she looked over at Tyler. He was being helped up and cuffed by the uniformed officer, while Detective Martinez barked directions about getting the EMT to look at the wound in his leg before loading him into the back of her car. Looking back at Lex,

"Are you ready to get up, lazy bones?"she teased

Smirking, "Yeah, I can get up Princess." he said as he rolled easily getting to his feet

Detective Martinez came over to them, "Well I know I have said this is the past, but it's finally over Ms. Ryerson."

"Thank you, Detective!" Brace said with a sigh

Shaking her hand and turning to follow the other officers down and out of the building, Brace turned back to Lex with a look of peace and wonder on her face.

"What?"

"It's finally over!" Brace said

"Yes sweetie, it is! But you are also done living in dorms so lets grab some clothes for now then we will come back later with some boxes, you are living with me from now on."