Chapter 14

Shit! Brace thought as she climbed off the back of Lex's bike, she leaned over and gave him a quick peck and ran for the Library. She hated being late, even if she have a really good reason... and down time with Lex was a real good reason. Shaking herself out of it, Focus Brace you need to be ready for this bio-chem mid-term!

Opening the door Brace walked in just as her phone went off indicating she had a new text message. Smiling thinking the text was from Lex as she walked into the library looking for her group she pulled her phone out to check the message, only to see it was from an unknown sender. Since it wasn't Lex and she had just spotted her group she opted to not worry about it, putting her phone on silent joined the group to get ready for her mid-term. Damn, as she caught sight of Liam she had forgotten that Liam was part of the study group as well, hmmm this couldn't be anymore awkward right now. Well there was no help for it now, she was just going to have to suck it up and move past the embarrassment. Liam seemed more than accepting of switching back into their roll of just friends, taking part in the group discussions and helping Brace study sections that she had issues with. For that she was grateful, she didn't know how she would explain Lex to him, hell she couldn't explain Lex to herself let alone an outside party.

After 3 hours of studying the group finally called a halt to the studying, agreeing to meet up early on Monday morning to refresh before the afternoon mid-term, Brace pulled her phone from her pocket and text Lex that she was ready to go, he was quick to respond he would be 5 minutes so she decided to check her other messages while she waited. There was one from Topaz and then then several from an unknown sender. Just seeing them made her stomach clench, suspecting before even opening them who they were from.

"Did you have fun last night?"

"Aren't you the little whore, coming home with one man and having the other arrive and stay the night."

"Is this what Vice's memory is worth to you?"

"It isn't like you were at the funeral crying over the accident were you?"

Brace shuddered, why couldn't the past stay buried. She just wanted to move forward with her life and it finally looked like Lex was on the same page, and now here comes this crazy shit again. That is how Lex found her, glaring down at her phone.

"Brace, is everything alright?

"No, more text messages from the nutjob"

"What?" Lex said putting down the kickstand and taking the phone from her.

"Shit! How does whoever this is keep getting your number?"

"I don't know but I am getting tired of this bullshit!"

"I know baby" Lex said with a sigh as he pulled her into his arms for a reassuring hug.

"Lets just get to Jake's, he said he is making dinner." Brace said after absorbing some of Lex's strength.

Lex gave her a lingering kiss, and grabbed the helmets from his bike, handing her the second one,

"Let's stop at the police station so Detective Martinez can take copies of the latest messages and we can avoid wasting time having her come out again." Brace said as she got on the bike and they were quickly speeding down the road.

Detective Martinez was more than happy to take copies of the messages, not mentioning that this time the sender had messed up, as she didn't want to give them false hope of catching the person but with the mention of the funeral the person sending has slipped up as they clearly had been at the funeral, and since it was no surprise what the trial was about in regards to Mr. Clarke the number of people that attended the funeral was actually small, so should finally be a lead. Taking less than 20 minutes there, they were quickly back on the road and heading for Brace's childhood home.