Chapter 6

Danielle sits in silence as Sam pulls up to the side of Mikaela's house, her fingers laying comfortably on her thighs, herself counting the little revs the Camaro's engine would make, how many times the engine would stagger in a heartbeat motion, the sound almost lulling Danielle herself to slumber.

    'There it is" Sam says to Mikaela, gesturing to her house.

    "I had fun" Mikaela admits, "So, you know, thanks for listening."

    "Oh, yeah. Yeah" Sam nods his head, assuring the woman to his right that it wasn't any problem.

    "...You..You think I'm shallow?" Mikaela asks, fidgeting in her seat.

    "I think you're...No, no, no. I think..." Sam thinks, "I think there is a lot more to you than meets the eye with you."

    Both teens were quiet, until Mikaela gives an awkward chuckle, triggers Sam to laugh as well.

    "I'll-ah, so you two at school" Mikaela says, initiating the goodbye.

    Sam nods, watching as Mikaela opens the door, easily sliding out of the Camaro, strutting her way towards the steps of her house, Sam keeping a close eye at her backside. Danielle rolls her eyes, hearing Sam mutter to himself.

    "Stupid. That was stupid" Sam mumbles.

    He takes a wavering glance at Mikaela, who waves goodbye, and he couldn't stop the giggle escaping his mouth, "Oh, god I love my car."

    "Um- excuse me? Our car, Samuel" Danielle interrupts, lightly kicking the back of Sam's seat, "My turn, twinny."

    For once, Danielle is shocked, seeing Sam willingly unbuckle his seat belt, sliding over to the passenger seat, letting Danielle maneuver her way to the front driver's seat, buckling herself in. She doesn't even care about the oh-so little tightening the seat belt gives her, almost knocking the air out of her lungs as she shifts the car into drive, grabbing ahold of the leather steering wheel, the warmth texture making her smile to herself, as she drives both her and Sam away from Mikaela's house, and towards home.

    "So..." Danielle trails off, "I'm guessing best day ever?"

    "You have no idea" Sam's voice wavers, folding his hands across his lap.

    "...Hey, has the steering wheel always been so warm? It feels almost as if it's burning the leather off."

    "The steering wheel? No, actually. Whenever I hold it, it's cold, like I left the window down all night cold."

    Danielle tilts her head, her sighting flicking over to the middle of the wheel, seeing the insignia plate, before looking up at the road, subsciously tilting her foot farther down the pedal, more than she needs to. Both the windows are down, letting the brisk, cool air hit Danielle's exposed shoulders, the feel making her almost shiver in delight, noticing the speedometer going from 20 to 60 in less than 5 seconds.

    "Slow down, Danny! We're not in a race for crying out loud!" Sam whines beside her, gripping tightly onto the door handles.

    She glances over at her brother, rising her foot off the gas pedal, the 60 slowly going to a 30 as she drives down the streets and intersections like a breeze.