Chapter 31

Two helicopters fly in the sky in the outskirts of the valley. In one of the helicopters sits Sam and Mikaela, both strapped inside the copter, headsets on their heads. Sam and Mikaela sit still, both fighting the urge to sleep. It has been over eight hours since the incident at the creek, and not once did the two teenagers get the chance to fall asleep. However, over the past eight-plus hours, Sam and Mikaela have been the closest they ever been so far, closer than Mikaela sitting on Sam's lap back 12 hours prior. Sam looks in front of him, seeing two other people sit in front of Sam and Mikaela, both a man and a woman. The woman was a pale blonde, wearing a designer shirt and jacket and blue cropped jeans. Glancing down, Sam notices the woman wearing black six-inch heels, almost pristine in color without any specks of dirt or grime on them. The man right beside the woman was a tall dark-skinned man, wearing a red football jersey and baggy blue jeans, along with white sneakers. Sam clears his throat, glancing over at the window beside them, before looking at the two in front of him.

"So..." Sam mumbles in the comlink hooked up to his headset.

"What'd they get you for?" the blonde woman asks Sam, a distinct British accent lacing her question.

"Uh, my sister and I bought a car. Turned out to be an alien robot," Sam explains briefly, "Oh, and my sister turned out to be one too."

Sam looks over at the dark-skinned man, seeing him mouth a word in overwhelmment.

"Who knew" Sam shrugs his shoulders.

The two helicopters zoom over a mountain, revealing the Hoover Dam monument. Sam and Mikaela look through the helicopter window, eyeing the dam, seeing it larger in person. The helicopter carrying the 4 veers to the left, an indiscreet helicopter hanger pad being exposed. Sam grows impatient, starts to unhook the straps that were painfully pressing against him, grabbing the noise canceling headset, sliding it off of his head. Sam and the others feel the weight of the helicopter shift, as said helicopter lands securely on the hanger pad. The doors open by men in black suits, ushering the 4 bystanders out of the helicopter and directs them to 3 black vans parked 40 feet away from the helicopters. The 4 bystanders jog over to the parked vans, quickly getting into one.

The car ride lasted only for 10 minutes, before pulling up to the walkway of the Hoover Dam, the walkway most tourists walk on to take photos and to look past the barrier, seeing the substantial vertical drop to the bottom. Sam, Mikaela, the blonde woman named Maggie, and the dark-skinned man to be named Glen, all walk to the barrier that separates the walkway from the vertical drop, looking over the railing, seeing the intense drop. The 4 back away, heading over to the right of them, seeing a group of men walk towards them. Sam notices one of the men, and scowls, glaring at the familiar face.

"Hey, kid," Simmons grumbles at the kid, "I think we got off to a bad start, huh? You must be hungry? You want a latte? HoHo? Double venti macchiato?"

Sam's glare intensifies, looking at Simmons entirely. He wears military-esque garb, along with a slanted cap with the pendant of S7 plastered on the front.

"Where's my sister?" Sam asks, ignoring Simmons.

Instead of Simmons answering Sam's question, the man right beside Simmons, a tall pale man with a comb-over and black sunglasses, takes a step forward to him, both the man and Sam's faces inches apart.

"Son, I need you to listen to me very carefully," the man says to Sam, "People can die here. We need to know everything you know. We need to know it now."

Sam looks over at the man beside Simmons, "Okay. First I'll take my car, my sister, my parents, maybe you should write that down," Sam starts, before pointing over at Mikaela beside him, "Oh, and her juvie record. That's got to be gone. Like, forever."

Mikaela, who hears everything, stares at Sam, a shocked look on her face, before giving a shy smile at him, taking a step closer to him. Both men look at each other, before waving their hands over to Sam and Mikaela.

"Come with me," the man beside Simmons announces, "We'll talk about your car and sister."

The man lightly grasps Sam's shoulder, directing him to follow. Sam glances over at Mikaela, who nods over at him, following closely behind.