Chapter 44

Despite the ruined streets, the area is quiet. No sounds of bullets firing off, no sounds of explosions, no sounds of war. The silence is unnerving. Danielle and the others walk down the empty streets, patrolling for new threats on the street. Walking down the street, Danielle begins to think to herself.

"This street is a wasteland" Danielle thinks, looking around the area.
She holds onto Bumblebee's hand in her right, carefully walking beside him strapped to the tow truck. His hand feels warm in hers, despite the metallic feeling. It almost feels homelike to her, as if she was still in her human form, sitting next to a fireplace on a cold winter night. Danielle smiles at the thought, imaging herself sitting on a cozy sofa, with a fuzzy red blanket on her, sipping on hot chocolate. Continuing to imagine this, she doesn't feel Bumblebee tug on her arm, until he calls out to her.

"Beautiful"

Danielle looks over at him in acknowledgment, holding his hand tighter. He stares up at her, his glowing blue eyes gazing at her. He looks at her, before looking over at a pile up ahead of the team, the pile bigger than others.

Danielle follows his trail of sight, seeing the pile of rubber. The pile is bigger than most piles, being bigger than a wrecked car. The pile is slightly dented to the ground, causing the road around it to crumble. Taking a closer look, Danielle notices the large glint of silver, seeing it all too familiar.

Danielle gasps, detaching herself from Bumblebee, before running over to the pile, urgency in her stature.

"Optimus!" Danielle yells out, "Hang on!"

With her size difference, she gets to him quickly, finally noticing what was inside the crater. She sees her brother, Sam, all bruised and covered in soot. Relief washes over the female, thankful to see him alive and well. Looking over Sam, Danielle nearly stumbles in shock. Right behind Sam is Megatron's body. By her initial reaction, Danielle feels the blades on her calves start to shift, cautiously opening slightly. Looking closer at the lying Megatron, Danielle sees a burning spot in the middle of his chest. She can sense the burning warmth echo from his body, feeling the warmth just as powerful as the Cube. Sam notices Danielle at the edge of the crater and calls out for her.

Danielle nods down to her brother, feeling everyone walking to the crater. All the Autobots have survived, except Jazz, who is severed in half, Ironhide holding him, grief encasing him. Everyone looks beaten up, Danielle herself including, patches of dirt and soot visible on her white and blue body.

"Prime," Ironhide speaks to Optimus, holding Jazz's body, "we couldn't have him."

"Aw, Jazz" Optimus responds, seeing Jazz's lifeless form.

Danielle glances over at Optimus, seeing his eyes change to a darker shade of the normal blue the Autobots have, his posture deflating slightly. Everyone around Danielle silently mourns, folding her arms to hug herself.

Optimus looks away from Jazz, towards everyone else.

"We lost a great comrade," Optimus states, then gestures to all the military personnel and to Sam, "but gained new ones. Thank you, all of you. You honor us with your bravery."

Danielle hears Bumblebee beside her start to wheeze a bit, his radio going static.

"Permission to speak, sir?" Bumblebee asks, no longer using his radio.

Danielle whips her head around, facing Bumblebee with shock written on her face. She sputters, not finding the right words to say. Bumblebee looks up at her, and gives a kind expression, reaching out with his left hand for her. She instantly takes his hand, holding it in hers tightly. The warmth in his hand reaches out to her, almost pulling Danielle into a trance, forgetting about her sore limbs, and about everything around her. Optimus gives a smile, nodding to Bumblebee.

"Permission granted, old friend."

"You speak now?" Sam yells over at Bumblebee, vocal about his disbelief.

Bumblebee glances down at Sam, before looking up at the former brunette, squeezing her hand.

"I wish to stay with the boy and Jinx" Bumblebee speaks, not bothering to glance over at Optimus, speaking his words while looking directly up at Danielle.

Optimus follows Bumblebee's glance, before giving a polite expression, "If that is their choice."

Bumblebee then decides to look over at Sam, a hopefully look etched on his robotic face. Sam looks at Bumblebee, then back at his sister, seeing her relaxed posture. He contemplates on whether or not to have Bumblebee, an alien robot, stay with him, or leave him to stay with the Autobots. Seeing Danielle's face, it helps Sam to make his final decision.

"Yes" Sam tells Bumblebee softly.

Bumblebee turns to look over at Danielle, waiting for her answer. She gives a smile, nodding her head, "Yes."

Bumblebee whirs happily, pulling Danielle closer to him, happiness radiating off of him. Danielle smiles at his action, feeling his happiness rubbing off of her. Despite everything, from losing Jazz and military personnel, to killing the Decepticons and their leader Megatron, Danielle is still scared. She is scared because she doesn't know what she is anymore. Human? Alien? But, with the setting being filled with relief, Danielle doesn't bother to express her concerns. She doesn't want to ruin the moment. Unknown to her, Bumblebee can feel Danielle's discomfort but doesn't say anything.