Chapter 4

"0999 bring 0101 on board after preliminary scans of her life capsule, I want to make sure she is unaffected," Derrick said.

"Of course Primary starting scans now, the capsule is intact, though I am detecting damage to the electrochemical cells, it appears that unit 0101 is dangerously close to cascade failure. I suggest immediate transport to the hanger to effect repair and re-growth," 0999 stated.

"Proceed 0999, double check all scans I want nothing to destroy what little of the fleet there is now," ordered Derrick.

"Compliance Primary, all precautions are being taken to protect Primary Derrick, the fleet and unit 0101." 0999 replied as Derrick watched all the readings that were coming in, he might not know what all the systems were but that wasn't about to stop him from learning everything that he could. In just a week he'd already learned just what more than half the readings that came in were, along with all the alarms, wasn't always sure exactly what they were but he was learning.

Derrick was hoping that E wasn't damaged as bad as he thought she was, she'd sounded weak, plus what was left of her was completely trashed.

"0999 Query?" Derrick asked looking at the readings trying to determine the amount of damage.

"Yes Primary," 0999 answered.

"Can 0101 be re-grown the way she is now or will parts have to be removed before re-gen is possible?" Derrick asked.

"I have projected, that well over seventy five percent of her exterior will have to be removed, before any possible re-gen is possible," 0999 stated.

"I was afraid of that, time to remove said sections and start re-gen?" Derrick asked.

"I postulate three days, five hours, fifteen minutes and thirty seconds once the procedure is started, then re-gen will be possible." 0999 replied.

"Thank you 0999, please begin as soon as possible, we need as many in the fleet as possible," Derrick was hoping he didn't sound desperate, god he'd missed E.

Once again Derrick went back to the file room to again try and learn as much as he could. At the moment, true, he probably knew more about the systems than anyone else, but as his grandfather had always said knowledge was the key to power. He was just starting to grasp the basic idea of the trans-warp drive when a chime drug him away from his reading.

"Primary," said 0999, "It is advisable that you partake of some nourishment, readings indicate you are growing weak."

Looking up Derrick was a little confused, "what do you mean weak?" Derrick asked.

"Well, Primary," 0999 started again, "you have been in this room for almost two days, you have ignored almost all hails, your strength is reduced by more than sixty percent." It is the duty of all EIG units to protect their primary, and protect the Prime Primary above all else."

"Thank you 0999, I hadn't realized that I had been here that long; I was just starting to grasp the Trans-slip drive. I am hoping to learn as much as I can." Derrick told 0999.

"Primary," 0999 said a little excited, "when the trans-slip drive was installed there weren't many humans that understood it. The fact that you are grasping the basics of it puts you in an elite class."

Derrick was dumbfounded, it only took a little heavy reading (five thousand pages on screen) to start to grasp the basics. Hell were all the non-imperials stupid back then? He realized it was one thousand years ago and not that many people were into warp or trans-warp theory but come on! It wasn't that hard all you had to do was read! "What is the status of 0101?" Derrick asked.