Chapter 35

Mara's eyes were still wide; it had been exactly like the emperor had said. She'd only been asleep for possibly two hours at the most. Here she was hearing a voice in her head of one of the ships. Looking over at Derrick she asked, "Uh Sire? Do you want me to go to my ship right now?" She asked.

"I'm not all that sure right now Captain," Hartwell said with a wry smile on his face. "As upset as you were, do you really think that you are ready for this?"

Mara snapped to attention as she saluted both Hartwell and Derrick. "Yes sir, I am more than ready!" Mara's face a look of consternation as she was staring at Hartwell after what he'd said.

Hartwell turned to Derrick still with a wry smile on his lips. "What do you think sire? Do you feel that she is settled enough emotionally to take on this challenge?"

Derrick had caught Hartwell's smile and nodded slightly at the man. "I'm not sure Admiral; I am in need of more primes for the ships. I do have to make sure they are mentally sound though!"

Mara's face had gone from elation to downright anger, "With all due respect Admiral, sire, let's cut the crap ok?! I am a hell of a lot more stable than Mack Brown! Beside after leaving us for as long as you did, we all deserve this!"

Derrick started to smile wider as did Hartwell. "Do you know which ship it is Sire?" Hartwell asked.

"Yes," Derrick replied, "They all inform me before anything is done. In this case being second was understandable." Derrick nodded looking up and said, "All right, I agree for those reasons. I want you at one hundred percent before we talk about that." Derrick nodded again then looked at Mara. "I suggest that you rest for a bit, it's going to be a bit before you can finish bonding with your ship's A.I."

Mara nodded, "Yes Sire, thank you Sire!" Then she cocked her head to the side as she was walking out of the door. "Yes, my god I am so excited to meet you! I just hope..." she was saying as the door cut off her conversation.

Hartwell just shook his head, "Really Sire that was mean!"

Derrick laughed, "True but I already knew she was ready. I have to keep things serious after all!" Derrick was suddenly quiet as he stared at Hartwell. "So ... when were you going to tell me?"

"Tell you Sire? I'm not sure what you're talking about." A confused but wary Hartwell said.

Derrick sighed, "Mary, Shelby, I need isolation for the following conversation!"

"Yes Derrick, all communication if off, all recordings are off, all outer walls now sound proofed. You can proceed." Shelby advised him.

"Again I ask when were you going to tell me. What, you think it could go on as long as it has and I not find out!? Christ Joseph we're best friends what has come over you?" Derrick almost shouted at Hartwell who was still looking at Derrick with a questioning look. With a frustrated grunt Derrick continued, "You're really going to make me say it aren't you? About your family, about your sister!"

Hartwell's eyes suddenly narrowed, "that's none of your damned business!" He shouted. "That's my family and I'll take care of it! Now back off!"

"Look you stubborn ass! I am already involved had you come to me with this I might..." Derrick started.

"You might have stuck you nose where the hell it didn't belong! As I said back the..." Hartwell shouted.

"Joseph Johnathon Hartwell! You and the men ARE my family! I cannot and will NOT let anyone hurt my family!" Here Derrick pointed a finger at Hartwell as he continued. "You, you stubborn ass are too damn proud to ask for help! Well too bad! You've got it now damn it! Besides as I see it this may be all I need to roast that idiot for all the shit I am hearing he has done."