Chapter 17

Derrick jerked awake, ah Christ his head hurt, the light was so bright, ugh! Looking around he could see that E had integrated back into the system. Sitting up a thought filled his mind, E? Why in the hell had he just called Shelby E? Then again where in the world was she? She never left his side, then the memories started to flood his mind, looking at the chronometer he did a double take, huh? It seemed that he was missing a few months, though he could slowly feel the memories starting to open up. Sitting there a few moments he was glad he was getting his memories back that is 'til the memory of what Lucy had done and sacrificed flooded his mind and the tears started to flow.

Nodding his head at the memories he again pledged that he would find her. Looking at the Chronometer again he saw that he only had a month missing, then the pain started as the first time he'd used the head set hit him. What the hell was going on? It was like doors were being opened flooding his mind at an accelerated rate.

"SHELBY! Oh god!" Derrick almost screamed, where in the hell was she? Both Shelby and Mary appeared looking at Derrick with huge concern in their eyes. "My god my mind is going to tear it's self to pieces! You have to knock me out 'til they are all one! Hurry I can feel the pressure starting to increase!"

Shelby looked at Mary who nodded then watched as Shelby administered a drug to render Derrick unconscious. "Thank you," he said as he once again faded into the blackness. Both Mary and Shelby started to monitor his Alpha and Beta waves. Though both were mostly normal, Mary was a little concerned about the overabundance of Theta waves. "It appears that the emperor's subconscious is trying to fully integrate all the memories back into his conscious mind. I am just hoping that the stress that he was feeling won't damage his already fragile hold on reality."

"What are you advising Mary?" Shelby asked, not really sure that she was going to like the answer that Mary gave her.

"I can't see much that we can do 'til he awakens again though I suggest we keep him out 'til such time as the reading in the Theta range is more normal." Mary told Shelby. "I am also afraid that we may have to delve back into his mind, though I know it is necessary at times I still find it distasteful."

Shelby could only stare at Mary, being in his mind being with HIM, to Shelby was the most intimate that she could think of. Yes she could see where Mary was coming from but without this close personal contact, Shelby felt for sure that they would have lost Derrick more than a few times. Thinking a moment Shelby finally came to the conclusion that to Mary, Derrick was her master and unless he told her that she could, Mary would do nothing to interfere with what made him Derrick. Unlike Mary though, Shelby wanted to be in every facet of his life.

It was several hours later when Derrick issued a groan, Mary could see that his readings were finally starting to stabilize. Though this was the first good sign she'd seen since all this had started, she had Shelby standing by with another injection in case he once again started to experience the pain.

As Derrick opened his eyes he laid still a moment, the last time he'd jerked awake he'd been restrained by the bio-bed. God he hated the damn thing, yes it was useful and saved lives but he still hated being restrained in it. Looking around he felt the last of his memories slip into place, I really needed to look into the headset, I have obviously upset the balance in my mind if a simple knock like this affected me this severely. Groaning as he slowly sat up Shelby and Mary both looked on with questioning looks.

"How are you feeling Sire? Mary asked afraid that he might still be suffering the effects of the memory loss.

"Much better Mary thank you, I need the status of the prisoner." Derrick said all business as he started to sort through everything that had happened the last few days. "Shelby I also need the status of 1000 and the other case that was the initial cause of this."