Chapter 15

Derrick was fighting to open his eyes ugh! He felt like he'd been kicked a few times and possibly run over. For some strange reason he felt he needed to be mad at Mary when he woke up but for the life of him he couldn't seem to remember why. It was at that moment he noticed that he was far more tired than he usually was. Mary and Shelby went over his readings again, the nanomites were working at one hundred percent to boost his energy levels. Mary was starting to worry a bit that she and Shelby had performed the procedure far too soon. Problem was Mary had done it many times and had never had a subject not come out better or quickly.

Shelby was half tempted to delve back in, the kiss Derrick had given her had held a lot more meaning to her than the last. Touching her lips again she watched as Mary ran through several scenarios trying to figure out why Derrick hadn't awoken yet. Mary wasn't blind to the fact that Shelby was far more worried about Derrick than a mere A.I. should be. Softly Mary examined Shelby's circuits hmmm interesting Shelby was far more alive than Mary had at first thought. Reaching out she found that the others were at 8% they had almost independent mobility. Shocked a moment Mary looked at Derrick in a new light. So the emperor was a far more trusting soul than any of the previous emperor's. Shaking her head she contacted Tempro she had to do something for him, something that hadn't been attempted in well over nine hundred years.

It had been almost a day and a half when Derrick jerked awake. What the hell was he doing on the bunk, the last thing he remembered was... smirking he knew she'd go a long ways to protecting him but this was a little far even for her. Stretching out his 6'2'' frame Derrick rubbed the scar on his leg, he needed to finish up so he could get things going. The addition of two more ships would most definitely be an added power advantage when he started to go against the nobles. They'd enjoyed free reign for far too long and needed to be brought to heel, smiling Derrick felt he was the perfect one for the job. He needed to get this fleet back in shape first, and then he could start to think about looking into the many injustices he'd heard of.

Shelby appeared at his side a moment later, "feeling a lot better Derrick?" She asked her almost ever present smile on her face.

Thinking a moment Derrick chose his words carefully, "Yes I do Shelby though I think I could have done without the shock treatment," Derrick chuckled.

"I am sorry Derrick; it was the only way she could get you to listen to her. You had pushed yourself past the point of exhaustion, she felt under the mandates she had no other choice." Shelby explained.

Sighing Derrick knew she was right but there were times, he had no choice himself, but to push like that. He had accomplished many a great thing with him doing that.

Anyway I look at it, I think Mary needs to take a look at the record of the many things I have done. Just because I am exhausted does it mean that I am in any type of danger.

"Shelby, have you..." Derrick started.

"Yes Derrick, she has been hooked to my generators for four days, now she should emerge in almost an hour. Derrick?" Shelby asked excited.

"Is something wrong Shelby?" Derrick asked.

Shelby was silent only a moment then rushed her answer, "I have determined that this is Zan's wing mate, 1000, is it possible to have him answer her when she awakens?"

Derrick thought a moment this was a welcome bit of news from what he'd read the two wing mates acted better together than they had when he was linked to the ships. "I think that would be an excellent idea, they have after all been apart a very long time. Have..."

A moment later Zan's hologram appeared beside Shelby, "you wished to see me sire?" He said as he bowed.

"It appears that we have located your wing mate, I wish for you to be here when she awakens, I hope that I am there though. This new device I am testing may further help with problems like you had on your fin. As a matter of fact your problem may have helped to furnish the idea for the solution." Derrick told the now shocked but proud image.