Chapter 27

Jax POV

The group breaks apart to head for meal time. I grab my water bottle as I watch as the group shuffles out, some conversing with another and some not. I go back to the pushing bag and continue punching. 

The only thing on my mind is to train my body to be as strong as possible. The cafeteria is open 24/7 anyways so I can grab food later.

I complete my set before going to the bench for a short rest. Glancing around the training arena, there are not many people around. The ones left are the crazy ones who train nonstop like me. There are also the desperate few who are trying to get stronger in the short amount of time until the next culling. 

Since the last culling, I have been keeping to myself. I isolate myself on purpose so I may analyze the others while only focusing on getting stronger myself. I haven't lost hope in escaping, but all attempts to escape are pretty futile. The layout of this entire building is a mystery. I have made a blueprint of the building, but there are still a lot of missing space and blanks. The guard shifts change every week. Then, there is also the cameras that seem to have no blind spots. The places that have blind spots have guards circling around them. Barsetti really thought his security out meticulously. 

I pause when I feel lightheaded and weak. I decide to give training a break before heading to the cafeteria for a quick bite. I grab the first thing I see as soon as I enter. Then, I head straight back to my room. 

After I rinse off, I hop onto my bed. That's when I notice a small slip of paper peeking from under my pillow. Pulling it out, I read it nervously.

Four days. Get ready. 

Four days...that's when the culling of the group is again. Is the paper telling me to stay alive or to get culled? What am I supposed to get ready for? Also, is this Robin telling me to do so? Obviously, there's a messenger involved. I don't think Robin is able to deliver these myself. I just don't know if it's actually him or Barsetti playing mind tricks.

What if this is a trick?

That'd suck.

I crumble the paper and flush it down the toilet before sleeping in my bed. 

And then I wake up and repeat the usual routine.

And repeat.

And repeat. 

And repeat. 

And showtime.

I really don't know what to expect. I wake up in anticipation and find myself trying to look around for any signs to what the note could be referring to. I try not to look too eager but it's been such a damn long time that this note brought back all the hope that was starting to fad away. 

"What's got your panties in a twist?" Amber pops in randomly. I didn't sense her presence at all.

I stare at her before turning away from her. She's been trying to pretend like she's my best friend ever since I got here. We both know we will never be friends, or that I will never trust her again. 

"Damn. What have I done to deserve this attitude?" She asks shocked.

I resist the urge to reply and simply walk away from her. If I interact with her for more than a few seconds, then I will end up punching the shit out of her. 

"I'm just trying to make some conversation and help you out, but noooooo, you're being so rude." She goes on.

I am quite proud of what happens next. I walk away without looking at her. To say the least, that took all my willpower to do that despite my growing irritation.