Chapter 39

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." Pearl slams her fist down on the table and glares at my father. Her red hair gives her an even more fiery appearance as she grows angrier. I've heard about Pearl's fiery personality when she's enraged, but I have never seen it in person. I gulp and watch as some people lean a little farther away from her. 

"You expect me, or any of us, to sit here on our asses and cooperate with you? You're letting a murderer go so easily. He killed my husband, your dear friend and family. Did you really expect us to be satisfied with his easy sentencing? He killed children and massacred families. He's experimented on kids to adults. That man is a monster. You would choose your job over family?" She sounds more angry than hurt. 

All the while, my father looks at her without an expression on his face. I don't know how he does it. I glance at my uncles and mother. Like my father, they share the same expression. 

Finally, my father speaks, "I empathize with you, but this whole situation is bigger than my hands. I have someone I answer to too. I cannot disobey direct commands even if it's for an old friend and family member. What you are asking for is treason." His steady voice calmly responds. I am not even surprised at his calm demeanor anymore after everything. 

"No, what I'm asking for is justice." She glares at my mother. "Of all people, I would have expected you to understand me. I should have known where your true loyalties lie."

My mother stands and gives her a glare equal in ferocity. "Don't you dare question my loyalties." Her eyes narrow and I can feel the tension in the room increase tremendously. My eyes dart between Pearl and my mother as I hold my breath. Everyone else seems to be at the edge of their seats as they wait for what happens. I know my father and uncles will leap out of their seats and instantly stop my mother and Pearl from going in an all out duel. From what I know, Pearl has some tricks up her sleeve too despite my mother being the veteran fighter. 

"I knew there were going to be conflict of interests. We have prepared for that." My mother seems to calm down within a blink of an eye. Everyone visibly relaxes but we can all still sense the tension. 

"We cannot change his sentencing. It is treason for Shay and I to act against our employer as we have sworn an oath to this nation." My father repeats once more and makes eye contact with everyone in the room. 

"The two of us may be unable to help you, but the Family can." My parents state firmly. They gave up the Family business a while ago, but have continued to maintain indirect relationships that have not interfered with their usual duties. 

My brother and I exchange looks. From what I am understanding, it sounds like both of my parent's hands are tied. However, it doesn't sounds like the Family's hands are tied. Though we have been more strictly business recently, that doesn't mean we are on countries' protection agencies "good list." If I'm assuming right, then it seems that the Family, who are not exactly tied to my parents anymore, can act.

"Is there anything else?" My father sighs as he looks around the room. It's really only our immediate family members and the ones who have power who are present. However, this time nobody says anything.

"I'll be taking my leave then. I have business to finish." My father stands up to leave. 

"I have to fly out early tomorrow. I'll be heading out to rest." My mother smiles sadly at Pearl. 

As soon as they leaves, things unfold in the room.

 "Skylar was family. We all know what happens when family members pass away with unforeseen circumstances." My uncle Leo stands up. Everyone watches him carefully. "However, we are in a delicate situation here. We have maintained a somewhat blissful relationship with the CIA. They've turned blind eyes for us a few time, but this is different. They are out to get Lucian as much as we are. We will purposefully be breaking our connection with them if we choose to act against them."