Chapter 29

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I instinctively duck and roll out of the way. I pat myself to make sure I am still whole and alive. Then, I realize that I'm good and clean. Looking up, I see Lucian standing in front of three bodies. Based on the lab coats, they appear to be scientists. All three have one, clean hole in the center of their foreheads. We are in a small room filled with metal file cabinets. There's a ladder that leads up to somewhere. It seems the scientists were trying to escape. 

"Get up." Lucian commands. A chill runs down my spine at his icy tone. He just killed three more people in cold blood.  I haven't seen anyone kill someone so cleanly, effortless, and heartlessly in such a close range. 

I get up and Luca proceeds to aim a gun at the back of my head. He keeps a careful distance behind me as we walk towards Lucian. 

"Finally." Lucian says as he sees someone enter. Half of me hopes it's one of my family members rushing to save me. 

Lo and behold, my dear brother comes in. He looks semi-alive, which makes me a bit happy. Although he looks exhausted and disheveled with that beard of his, I'm thankful he doesn't have any fresh injuries. 

A little part of me dies when I see Amber behind him with a machine gun in her arms. 

What the actual fuck.

I haven't seen a machine gun up and close and personal. Is she trying to riddle my brother with holes? I'm going to cut that bitch up....after she loses that machine gun. 

Amber waves hello to me and winks. 

I will kill her if it's the last thing I do. She makes my blood boil. 

"What a touching family reunion we have here." Lucian smiles. It actually looks genuine for once, which makes me very scared. Rob and I share looks, already knowing what the other is feeling. 

"Pity you've outgrown your use." Lucian lifts his gun and aims it at me. I stare at the barrel of the gun and gulp. Is this really how I'm going to die? It seems final and sudden. I think this is going to be it. There's no joke or savior who can get me out of this situation. 

"You don't want to do that." Rob gives a crooked smile. I know that smile. He has a card up his sleeve. 

"I do not believe you are in a situation to be negotiating." Lucian moves his gun so it's pointing at Rob. 

"The program is not going to work without both of us alive." Rob smirks just a little cockily. 

That smug little bastard. I think with love. 

 "I've programmed it so in order to activate the program, the program needs to scan and read two sets of DNA, perhaps a set of a particular set of twins..." Rob continues. "And no, you can't just kill us right after you activate it. You also can't just extract our DNA and input it." 

I knew that genius brain of his would get us somewhere. I can't be more proud of him than right now. 

Bang! 

Lucian aims the gun at Rob. I don't even have time to react for he shoots so fast. My heart almost stops. 

Then, I realize it was merely a warning shot. The bullet zooms dangerously close to his head and plants itself in the wall next to his head. 

"You could have almost killed me." Amber frowns very calmly. 

"You should have faith in my shot." He glances at her before bringing his attention towards Rob and me. 

"You're just like your father. Cunning and always thinking ahead." Lucian says, but it doesn't seem like a compliment. "Look where you guys ended up. He didn't think too much ahead."