Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Finnick Pov.

Mick puts his arm around Annie while she's asleep. Mick is so lucky that I'm not in that arena right now.

--------------------------------------------

Annie Pov.

I don't scream, but I feel like I'm about to. I take my jacket sleeve and put it in my mouth. I'm trying to keep myself from screaming and it helps. I climb the tree and get back to Mick.

"I think we should move our camp." I tell him.

"Yea I think so too." he agrees.

"I think too many people know where we are." I say.

He nods his head. It's almost night time so we're going to have to move quickly. We pack all of our gear, but I keep six knives in my pockets and one in each hand and Mick has his spear. We see a rabbit and I kill it and throw it in my bag. Mick also kills a bird with his spear. He can throw it really high. We find a cave that doesn't go back very far, but we have enough room for the two of us and there is a river close by. We agree to settle down here. It's sunset by the time we cook the food and share the bird. We still cook the rabbit but decide to save it. We also split one piece of the bread. We set up our bed in the cave. They play the deaths in the sky. I know that I killed one. But six others died. I heard a lot of canons today, but I didn't count them. That's seven. That means there's nine left. Tomorrow if one more person dies, they start the tribute's family interviews. I know for me, they will interview Finnick right away. I fall asleep after they play the deaths. I feel someone playing with my hair. I can feel my mouth move moving but I don't know what I'm saying. I'm probably talking in my sleep. I also feel water fall down on my face. I sit up.

"You okay?" Mick asks. The water came from his eyes. He tries to hide them but I already saw them.

"Yea. Are you okay?" I ask.

"Yea I'm fine." he lies.

"Liar. Did I say something in my sleep?" I ask.

"Yea. What were you dreaming about?" he asks.

"Um," I try to think of something to make up because I had a dream that Finnick was playing with my hair on the beach in district four. "I just remember someone playing with my hair." I lie.

"I was playing with your hair." Mick confesses. "Was it Finnick in your dream?" he asks. I don't think he bought it.

"Why do you ask?" I ask trying to avoid answering his question.

"Because you said his name in your sleep." he tells me.

"Is that why you were... crying?" I ask. I hope not. I already feel extremely guilty.

He doesn't answer me.

"Mick! Answer me! What would Pearl be saying?" I ask in Pearl's accent. This makes him laugh.

"Annie, you're just too amazing. You're funny, sweet, smart, gorgeous. That's why I was upset. Because I can't have you." he confesses.

"Mick, you've been making me feel so guilty this whole time. I don't know how to respond to all the nice things you say. Because if I'm afraid I'll either hurt you or Finnick. I'm sorry that I don't feel the same way. I think that you're great, and that any girl would be lucky to have you. But, I have someone else. Someone that I care about and that I couldn't hurt. And although it hurts me to hurt you, it hurts worse to hurt him." I admit. I try to let him down as easy as possible.

"I understand, thanks for being so honest with me." he thanks me.

"It's the least I can do." I tell him.

"I'm sorry for making you so... uncomfortable. I just wanted you to know how I feel." he apologizes.

"Don't apologize for your feelings Mick." I say.

"But it's wrong. I put you in a position where I made you feel bad and I feel bad for doing that." he keeps blaming himself.

"Mick, this is going to sound corny, but the heart wants what it wants. And you were very brave to listen to what yours was telling you. A lot of people don't have the courage to do that. You shouldn't apologize for that." I explain.

"Thanks Ann." he thanks me.

Why is he calling me Ann? I know Finnick is probably cursing at the TV right now. That's always been his nickname for me. I know that this has probably made him very, very, mad.