Chapter 4

Yuri's POV:
'Seeing you every morning already makes my day. Your cringy jokes and beautiful laugh make me feel all bubbly inside. I would anticipate your touch. Holding hands, hugging, or even just our shoulders brushing up against each other. My heart could just burst out of my chest at any moment. I awaited the day that you'll return my feelings and I could hold you as my own. But, sadly I knew you would never feel the same.' I type the same line over and over again into my laptop to force it into my brain.

"Writing about my feelings just make me more depressed." I slam my laptop shut and lean back in my chair "I'm fine with being friends anyways. Anything farther could ruin our friendship or worse!"

I run my fingers through my hair desperately trying to get rid of all the feelings deep in my heart. 'We couldn't have a future together anyways... it's just not possible...' I struggle trying to breathe as I start to think of him again  'He's always been there. Listened to my problems, let me cry on his shoulder, and check up on me to make sure I am okay. Even when I'm the not talking for a while he asks what's wrong. Whenever he says something that hurts me he apologizes and frantically tries making me feel better.'

A soft knock on my bed room door interrupt me of my previous thoughts "Yuri!" My mom calls from the other side of my bedroom door "Victor's outside waiting for you."

"Oh crap I forgot I promised to go to the staking rink with Victor this weekend!" I get up quickly and rush into my closet to change from my pajamas to casual clothes.

"Yuri? Are you sure you can go?" My mom opens my bedroom door and takes a peek inside "Last time you fainted being there." She says rather worried.

I shake my head "Don't worry I was probably just down a little under the weather. I'm fine today." I say in a reassuring way so she wouldn't worry about me.

"Well be careful!" She says sharply as she leaves, her footsteps disappearing into thin air.

"Oh course!" I call out after her.

'We've been together since middle school and yet that dense fool still doesn't get it. I've always made him heart shaped origami letters and openly tried to make my moves but nothing.' I run out of my room barely putting on my coat 'I wrote a confession note for him but decided to chicken out last second in the end of eighth grade. He was going to the same Highschool so what was the point? I get to spend more time with him.' I kiss my mother goodbye on the cheek 'I plan on confessing but what will he say? Will he be disgusted?'

"Yuri put your shoes on!" My mother stops me before I walk out the front door.

I look down to notice I'm bare footed so I rush to grab a pair and head out past my mom "Thanks. Bye and love you!" I hop off the lawn and into the sidewalk where Victor waited for me.

My eyes shocked as to what was in front of me. All his beautiful long hair gone. Cut short into a handsome do. He smiles nervously as he sees me stare in shock.

"Does it look okay?" He pouts cutely "You know I always planned to cut my hair short so I..."

Interrupting him I stop in front of him holding my arms out widely "No way. I think you look handsome." I blush madly.

He smiles brightly "Thank you yuri~ You're the bestest friend a guy could have!!" He tackles me into a hug.

'Friend.' I smile lightly as I feel his warm arms  around my sorta chubby figure. I wrap my arms around his neck and snuggle my face to the side. 'He smells good..' I take in a small sniff and pant my hot breath against his neck by accident.

"Don't get too excited there Yuri~" Victor says in a joking voice.

I pull away quickly unaware of my pervert habits "I-I didn't do anything!!" I say with a nervous laugh.

"You were totally just making the moves on me weren't you?" He says with a cheerful tone.

"N-no!!" I say my face getting hotter by the second "I'm sick remember! Just feeling a little too hot...!"

"Yuri..? Are you okay?" Victor asks suddenly.

"What do you mean?" I pull away from our embrace to look at him "I'm fine."

He puts his hand on my forehead "You just felt a little hot... like you were sick... but..." He starts walking down the path of cherry blossom trees "Nothing. Never mind."

I watch him down the beautiful path of light pink and white. Catching up to him I grab his hand from behind. Stopping him in his tracks he sighs heavily. As he turns to face me I swore I could've felt a cold breeze blow by shaking the trees so they became reckless. I gulp down a flower petal as he puts my hands in his. Grasping onto them with a worried look on his face.

"It's just-... when I asked a few weeks ago in the hospital you sounded angrily with me. Like you didn't want me to talk about it" He says in defense.

"It's not that I don't want to talk about it." I pause looking at the ground where the petals seem to dance "I just don't want you to worry."

"Of course I'm going to worry!" He says quickly "Your my best friend after all, I care about you!"

'There he goes with that word again!' I pout lightly and let go of his hand disappointed. 'But what am I expecting anyways? I haven't even tried to claim him for my own and I'm already so defensive. Loving someone like me would be hard anyways. I mean I don't even love myself...' The itchy feeling in my throat returns as I walk past him and down the trail of cherry blossom tress.

"Let's go..." I say with an aching feeling coming from deep within my chest.

Author's POV:

"What's this all about doctor? Is everything alright?" Yuri's father asks in a calm voice.

"Thank you Miss and Mr Katsuki for visiting us today." Yuri's doctor sits down in a chair.

Yuri's parents sitting across in his office. It was like any other doctor's office. Coffee table in the corner, cabinets full of medications, and chairs to sit for the bad news. Out of no where the doctor pulls out a plain folder from his coat pocket and sits it down on his lap.

Yuri's mother looks at him worried "Is something the matter with my son, doctor?"

"Something seems to be terribly wrong with you son." The doctor says in a rather fear full tone "He's a ticking time bomb with almost no more time left..." He holds up a CAT scan of Yuri's lungs and how there seems to be a dark figure of flowers and shrubs inside "If we don't take care of the problem soon... your son is going to die."

                                  .............
The Hanahaki Disease is an illness born from one-sided love, where the patient coughs up flowers or flower petals. The only cure is to have that love reciprocated, or to somehow wipe away all one's memories of their beloved person. The infection can be removed through surgery, but the feelings disappear along with the petals."
...........