Chapter 27

Author's POV:
Yuri's POV:

Flatline.

"I wonder what's happened to me... one minute I was in the school talking to the student prez and the next it's all dark and silent." I stare off into the abyss which is the only thing I can see, holding my hand in front of my face, nothing.

"Are you talking to yourself, Yuri?" Suddenly I hear his deep voice that sends shivers down my neck.

Ever so slightly the monitor begins to beep all on its own.

My heart skips a beat "Victor...! Where are you? I can't see a thing." I try reaching out to find him.

Everyone in the room stops what they're doing to look towards the head surgeon. Stressed out he quickly starts to check all the stats and runs over to the brain monitor.

"We got him." He grabs the donor jar from the head doctor "What are you waiting for?"

"Sir?" The doctor gives him a questioning look.

"Get another lung dammit! What am I speaking a foreign language?!?" He shouts loudly and watches as he runs out "If he's fighting we should too!"

"Do we continue with the procedure?" The other two surgeons look to each other panicked.

A nurse rushes over to connect the tube down Yuri's windpipe to the machine to get fresh oxygen to his brain. Two more nurses injection him with an extra IV, medication, and some more general anesthetic. Another nurse helps the surgeons finish removing the first lung in preparation to attach the new one.

"What do you mean where am I? I'm right here." As I feel the warmth of his touch suddenly the abyss we've been stuck in turns completely white.

Victor stands there in front of me but then kneels down to meet my eyes "Can you see me now?"

"What are you doing here?" I say with tears in my eyes "I've missed you!" I wrap my arms around him and snuggle into his neck.

"You can see me anytime you want you know." He chuckles lightly.

"What do you mean?" I pull away to look at him.

"This is only a figment of your imagination." He smiles.

"Does that mean... I'm dead...?" My heart drops for a moment.

"No! Of course not!" Victor shakes his head violently "It's only temporary... until they remove me..."

"Remove you?" I look at him concerned.

"I want to apologize on behalf of the real me... that I've seemed to cause you so much pain..." He sighs grabbing onto my hands "I wasn't so sure of my feelings before but I know now and I'm ready to love you if you're ready to be loved..."

"I don't know what to believe anymore..." I pull my hands away "This is all in my head."

He grabs them again "But our relationship isn't. You were getting better right? It just sucks that by the time we finally shared the same feelings you were already so far gone." He brings my hands up to his lips and kisses them softly "Sorry I take your breath away~"