Chapter 22

Lauren's POV

After me & Camz had our moment together we finished washing up & soon went back to the beach. The sun was starting to fall and I could tell it was getting late. We grabbed the blanket & laid together in the raft. I held Camila tightly in my arms, making sure to keep her warm.
Se quickly fell asleep on my arms while my mind wondered.
I need to protect Camila on this island, She comes first. Even though we might not ever truly be safe, I want to make her feel safe. I can't let her think that we might not ever be rescued, I want her to have hope. From this day on, she will be my #1 priority.
I woke up just as the sun started to rise. Camz was still asleep in my arms. 'Safe' I thought to myself trying to figure out was to make her feel more comfortable. I thought about a few songs she liked & started to sing Skyscrapper by Demi. This song always seem to calm her down.
"Lolo, you have a beautiful voice" she said in her rusty morning voice. "Why haven't I herd you before?"
I shrugged and kissed the top of her head. "Maybe I was waiting for the right moment" I smiled
she gave me a smile back & pecked my lips. "So what are we doing today?" she asked while I held her tightly in my arms.
"Get some more water & fruit. Hopefully we can explore the island a little, just to see what were up against"
She nodded & started to stand up, stretching her body. We grabbed the bottles & the box & started to go into the jungle. We filled up the bottles & put as much fruit in the box we could & went back to the island. I saw a stick and a ball-like fruit sitting near our tent so I went over to grab them.
"Lolo what are you doing?" she asked following me
"I want to teach you" I say picking up the fruit & stick. "How to play softball"
"Nooo, I'm awkward & not athletic" she said back away from me with her hands up in defense.
"I don't care, you're learning"
"Fine" she said giving up.
I taught her how to stand & how to swing properly. She was actually really strong, it impressed me. I backed up a few feet, tossing the ball under handed so she could hit it. She swung the stick, connecting it with the fruit, sending the ball right into the side of my head. I fell down after the fruit busted open all over my head.
"Lolo! I didn't mean to!" she said sitting at my side
"No, I'm fine. Nice hit" I say standing back up & giving her a smirk
She giggled & helped me to my feet.
"I think that's enough lessons for today" she giggled
"Agreed"

______________________________________________________

Days.. weeks.. months went by & we were still on this island. Don't get me wrong, I loved spending every second with Camila but just not this way. Each & everyday, she lost more hope. It broke my heart to see her sitting alone looking in the sand, thinking about who knows what. We were beginning to become weak & tired. Living off of fruit & water for 3 months is difficult task. We needed meat, although I haven't seen a single living creature on this island yet. I needed to go farther into the jungle, for Camila.
"Hey Camz" I say walking over to her, breaking her from her thoughts. "I'm going to go the jungle to bring us some meat"
"Huh? but I haven't seen any animals?"
"I know. I'm going farther in the jungle to set some traps & making a spear"
"No, Lauren. Don't" she said standing up, jumping into my arms.
"I have to. You're becoming weak & Im not fast enough to catch fish" I tell her holding her tighter in my arms.
"Let me come with you" she pleaded
"No, I can't take a risk of you getting hurt."
"At least take the knife" she insisted
"No, you'll need it incase anything happens & im not here. I'll make a spear"
She nodded and pulling out of the hug. I could see the tears rolling down her face. "Look at me" I sat my hand under her chin leaning in for a long, sweet, passionate kiss. "Everything is going to be okay. Please don't lose hope. I love you so much"
"I love you too Lolo" she said as I pulled her back into a hug.

Camila's POV
It's true, I lost hope. But when Lauren holds me, all I feel is hope. I didn't want her to go alone, who's going to give me hope now? She might not be back for days, or not even come back. No, I can't think like that. Of course she was coming back... right?
She grabbed a strong bamboo stick & turned it into a spear with the knife & grabbed a few bottle of water & some fruit.
"I love you so much" she said hugging me tight before she left.
"I love you too Lolo"
She whipped my tears from my eyes & kiss the top of my head. She turned around & started to walk into the horrifying jungle. I starred at her until I could see no more of her. I missed her already, just her presence made me feel safe. After I could actually make my self move, I took the bottles I had left to fill them up & wash us as well.

It's been hours since Lauren left. I'm starting to get worried. The sun is almost down & she's not back. I didn't want to sleep alone, with no arms wrapped tightly around me. I just had to managed. I curled up in the raft & put the blanket completely over my body, including my head, as if to protect me. Within a few hours I fell asleep. When I woke up, there was still no Lauren...
I did the daily routine, water-food-pee- relax. But I couldn't relax cause Lauren was constantly running through my head. I laid on the beach with the water crashing on my legs. I couldn't believe what I saw next. A boat, an real life boat. Just far enough to see it float past us. I quickly ran to the tent & pulled our the flare gun, shooting it in the air. I waved my hands back & forth frantically and screamed as loud as I could. Soon the boat turned it's way towards the island & was coming to get us.
"Lauren, we made it" I began to say, turning around as if she was there.... but she wasn't.

~~~~~~~~~~~
No Lauren? hmmm...
-Tana 💞