9|The Unwanted Welcome

It was still relatively early when the doorbell rang at the Bryant household. Natalia heard Adriana groan beside her as they got up to go see who was at the door.

"Who," Adriana paused to say her words slowly and dramatically, "the hell . . . rings the doorbell so early?"

"My mother apparently," Natalia muttered as she caught a glance at the woman who entered the house.

(Yoland Hadid as Catherine Grey)

"What's going- oh," Jessie stopped when she saw none other than Catherine Grey downstairs in the foyer.

"Yeah, oh. What am I supposed to do? I didn't think she was going to actually come look for me," Natalia groaned.

"Just go down. Get it over with," Adriana suggested.

"Adri's right. She won't go away until you talk, so go now," Jessie said as she shoved her towards the stairs.

Natalia sighed, but walked down the stairs to face the woman who was supposed to be her mother.

"Well, are you just going to stand there? Aren't you going to hug your mother," Catherine said as soon as she saw Natalia.

Natalia held in her eye roll and but her tongue as she hugged her mother.

"You're looking a little chubby, Natalia. What have I said about college?"

"That I'd better not eat my weight in ramen noodles," Natalia recited by heart

Before she left to Chicago for college, her mother had driven her to the airport. Catherine's last words weren't something sweet like "I love you" or "I'll miss you." No, Catherine's last words were "Watch your weight, and don't eat your weight in ramen noodles like most college students."

"Exactly, yet I think you ignored my advice," Catherine said as she shot Natalia a disappointed look.

Jessie and Adriana took that as their cue to enter the room as well. Catherine smiled at the two as she reached to hug them.