32|The Before

*Keep in mind that this chapter, like chapter 6, is made up of flashbacks. They'll all have time stamps, so you'll know what's going on.

----------------------
Freshman Year

August
"I've had enough, Katherine! All the lies, the drama, I've had it," yelled William Grey.

"You cannot walk out on this family," Catherine yelled back as she followed him to the foyer, "We have a daughter, and a family. Doesn't that matter to you?"

"Of course it does, Catherine, but you're the one who it obviously doesn't matter to," William retorted as he grabbed his bags.

"What am I supposed to tell our fourteen year old daughter," Catherine cried out, "That while she was at cheer tryouts with her best friends, her father walked out on us?"

"Tell her whatever you want. We both know no matter what you say, it won't be close to the truth," William said as he opened the door.

"You walk out this door and that's it, William. There is no coming back or making mistakes. You leave, that's the end of it," Catherine said as she watched him stop at the doorway.

"Lucky for me, I never want to see you again," William said as he walked out the door, and slammed it shut.
-
October
"Dad isn't coming back, is he," Natalia asked her mother as they ate dinner.

Catherine put her fork down, and sent her daughter a sympathetic look. It pained her to see her daughter have to pay for her own mistakes, but it was too late and there was no going back.

"Natalia, I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say."

"With the holidays coming up, I just thought that maybe he would come back, or, I don't know- call?"

"Cheer up, buttercup," Catherine said with a warm smile, "You have me and I'm going to make the holidays great this year."

Natalia smiled at her mother, but inside she was hurting. Her father had left her without a goodbye or even a warning. She had gone out with Kylie and Jessie for cheer tryouts, and when she returned, she found her mother crying against the front door, bottle of wine in hand. Not knowing what to do, she called her father, but it was too late. He had disconnected his number.

"I brought your favorite from the diner," Catherine said, pulling Natalia from her thoughts.

"Mom, you really didn't have to," Natalia said.

"But I wanted to," came Catherine's response as she placed a piece of pumpkin pie in front Natalia.
-
December
"Merry Christmas to my very best friend," Jessie squealed as she handed Natalia her Christmas present.

The relationship between the Delp's and the Grey's ran deeper than just Natalia and Jessie. Catherine, and Jessie's mother had also been good friends before. It only made sense that their daughter's be best friends as well. When the whole thing with William happened, the Delp's were there for Natalia and her mother; Christmas was no exception. So there they were, celebrating Christmas in the Delp household so they wouldn't be alone on the holiday.

"Here," Natalia said as she handed Jessie a small, but long box covered in festive wrapping, "Merry Christmas, Jess!"

The two girls opened their presents and smiled at their respective gifts. A jewelry set for Jessie and workout clothing from PINK for Natalia.

"It's perfect," both girls said at the same time, causing them to laugh.

"And this one is for you, mom," Natalia said as she reached under the tree to grab the desired present.