O8: Breakfast

"Alright Symphony, today is your day." The nurse said softly.

I groaned and sat up slowly. This is a nice way to wake up but I was so tired. I rubbed my eyes slowly with the casted hand and looked over at the nurse. She was busy unwrapping the gauze from my arm where all the needles were, so I watched her do it quickly but carefully. Once she had fully taken off the gauze, she took each needle out and anything else that was attached to the machines, which was just too much to name. Then she took the casted hand and took off the gauze too.

"Good, you seem to be healing at the appropriate rate. Are you ready to go home, today?" She asked me.

"I never got your name." I stated ignoring her try at getting a conversation out of me.

"It's Charlotte." She said.

"Okay Charlotte, I'm assuming that you're apart of the royal medical staff and that you know more about me than I, you. So you already know how I don't have a home any more." I told her.

She stuttered for a minute before she just cleaned up her mess and left the room. I didn't want to talk at the moment and I wanted all of these casts off my body. I had an arm one and one leg that wasn't casted up and the two other were. In the last three days I learned how to cope with it on high intensity pain medication so I felt none of the pain. They had been weaning me off of it but it was still really strong and still in high portions. I threw the blankets off my body and went to use the bathroom as quickly as I could before going back and grabbed the same bag of gummy worms that Josiah took last time I tried to eat them for breakfast. Humming to myself, I climbed back on the bed and opened the bag taking a handful and stuffing them in my mouth. I just sat there stuffing my mouth for a couple minutes until the room door opened and Josiah stepped through. Panicking, I launched the bag across the room and just closed my eyes lying down quickly. Please believe I didn't eat those.

"Symp are you read--did you eat that entire bag?" He questioned suspiciously.

"Yes, I'm ready to go," I said, ignoring his question, standing up from the bed.

He watched me carefully walk to the door and passed him before I heard him following me. I didn't wait up for him this time, I just walked right out the hospital and now I had to wait since I didn't know where the car was or even if I would be allowed into the car after I just walked away. Yes, Josiah and I have been getting a lot closer but he could change his mind any second and I needed to keep reminding myself of this possibility. Just because he kept promising he wouldn't use his title and status against me until it was absolutely necessary doesn't mean he wouldn't break it in two seconds. Or that his definition of necessary was the same as mine.

"Symp, I know what you're thinking. Our car is right this way." He said pointing to his jeep.

This time I walked with him so he would let me in the car. We took our time for my benefit since I was still in a cast: one, I wasn't even supposed to be walking on but I made it work; two, I would be switching it to a walking boot in a couple weeks anyway; and three, I refused the crutches they kept trying to give me. Once Josiah and I got to the car, he let me in the car, even opened the door for me before he went to his side. He backed us up and then pulled into drive before we starting on our way to his house.

"Symp, why are you crying?" Josiah asked quickly looking at me before going back to the road.

"I'm n-" I started wiping my eyes to discover I actually was crying. I didn't mean to, I hated tears.

"Tell me what's wrong so I can fix it." He said.

"I'm not a damsel in distress, Josiah." I told him cleaning my face as good as I could with my hands.