Quick ch.34

Staring up at the white ceiling, wrapped in thin covers; I did not feel like facing this day. Not because of the night before, the horrible hangover I had yesterday, and the embarrassment I endured from my own mistakes; because of my sudden laziness. Mom did not need me for the daycare center, Violet already left for work and I did not have any clients waiting for a good portrait.

I groaned before slowly turning onto my stomach, took my phone off the dresser and scrolled through my morning messages. Mostly all the messages I received were newsfeed and notifications.

Hey sweetie, call me when you get a chance?..
~Linnea

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before pressing her contact number. She answered on the third ring, "Kaxity, you called back quicker than I thought. How are you?"

"I'm fine Miss Skarsgard. How are you?" I rolled out of bed and stretched my limbs.

"Fine. I'm just calling with good news. How do you feel about displaying your art in a gallery?"

"A gallery someone else is having, so they need me to fill up a spot. They'll pay me- what? A grand or two? I can do that, just tell me the theme and I'll make a painting."

Linnea laughed as if I said a funny joke, "No. you'll have your own gallery. I found one in Harlem, it's a little small but we can do too something out; how about it?"

My lips gaped open in shock, the thought of having my own gallery was surprising; I always thought it'll take years for me to have my gallery, even if it's a small one in Harlem. Hell yes.... "Of course. Thank you."

"No problem sweetie. Meet me there at noon, I'll send the address." She ended the call and sent the address to me right after.

My laziness immediately went out the door and my mood became brighter. I walked downstairs into the kitchen to make myself some breakfast, but stopped once I saw a body raving through my fridge. A tall, caramel skin young man who seems to not understand boundaries nor trespassing. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

He hit the back of his head on the freezer door before taking the upper half of his body of of the fridge. Mike set a carton of orange juice on the bar while rubbing the tender spot. "About to cook breakfast, what are you doing? Other than bursting my ear drums and giving me a concussion."

"Why aren't you at school?"

"Why aren't you at work? See what I did there, it doesn't feel good does it." He took out the eggs and soon waffle mix. "Do you like chocolate in your waffles? I'm more of a berry person, but don't say that to anyone."

I stepped towards the bar and took a seat in the stool so I can be at least eye level with him, sometimes I hate being short. "What's happening? Why aren't you in school?"

"First of all, it's Saturday. Second of all, I just needed to take a walk and I came here."

"All the way in Manhattan?"

"It was a long walk. You like your eggs: fried hard or scrambled? I'm going to surprise you."

I eyed him as he busied himself in the kitchen, "You missed me?"

Mike stopped moving around and gawked at me, before burst out into a laugh. "Oh please. You wish."

"I'm right, just admit it. You missed seeing my face in the morning, and hearing my singing."

"Which sounds like a cat dying. And I definitely do not miss your goblin face. Where's the bacon? Why doesn't Irvine by meat based products? I swear she's like a damn vicious rabbit." He comments while closing the fridge door. "Go get dressed or hat the hell you do to look descent."