New Meaning

Rikimaru's Point of View

I ran across the bridge leading to Gohda castle, everything seemed normal. I shot up to the trees with my grappling hook so I could scan the perimeter around the village, I jumped from one tree to the next and saw nothing. Night time crept and I scouted the garden looking for anything suspicious. The castle was normal, nothing out of the ordinary. I jump down and walked until I stopped to sit on the rock by the pond in the garden, and I looked at my own reflection.

"I was merely a distraction" repeated Lady Kagami's word in my head. I replayed the words over and over trying to understand what she meant.

But what was she a distraction for? Gohda castle looks fine, the village is normal? What could she have meant?

I gazed at the reflection of the moon from the pond as it shines through the night.

Lord Gohda, Ayame, Princess Kiku!

I forgot to check on them. I have not checked the inside of the castle.

I got up and began to walk inside the castle.

"Hm, maybe I should not let them know I'm here... If Onikage is planning something, I should be there to surprise him." I mumbled to myself, it felt like the best solution.

I heard guards coming and I stealthily hid, I went looking for Lord Gohda. I searched the castle and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I went in the library hoping to find Lord Gohda, I had to advise him that I am back.

"Rikimaru, you have returned..." Said a voice.

I took out my sword and turned to look at him.

"You believe you can still hide from me, I've known you since you were a child!"

"Pardon me," I said as I took a deep breath "I apologize my Lord." I came out of the shadows and knelt down.

"You know you do not have to kneel for me, you are practically family to me." Said Lord Gohda.

"Thank you, how did you know it was me in the shadows?" I thought I was stealthy, maybe this whole Lady Kagami business is affecting me more than I believed.

"No matter what age, you are still the same Rikimaru, somethings just do not change." He said with a laugh. "I learned how to keep an eye on you when you were with me ages ago, I've just never told you because you were always wanting to be hidden in the shadows."  He waved for me to get up. "What do you need?" He asked.

I stood up and looked at him as I put my sword away.

"Lord Gohda" I put my head up, "I was just making sure everything was alright with you." I stated.

"I am well, what seems to trouble you?" He questioned.

"Onikage has returned, he is trying to summon Lord Mei-Oh and I believe you are in grave danger." I said with concern. "Are you and Princess Kiku alright?"

"Kiku is asleep and I am fine... why do you believe I am in danger?"

"I just... believe you are. They always try to do something to you or your family." I said as this felt like an endless loop. Flashes of memories began to cross my mind.

"Rikimaru," He said calmly. "I am always in danger. It is one of the challenges of being a Lord, but I am not going to hide because of danger. No, I must face it and be a strong leader. I have faith that you and Ayame will protect my village, whether I am here or not." He said sincerely.

"I want no one to know I am here, I want to be a surprise just in case Onikage decides to come. Please, do not inform Ayame I am here." I added.

"Ayame will not know you are here, because she is not here either." He stated with a small laugh.

"What?!" I questioned. "Where is she? Has she returned?" I asked thinking she did not make it out alive.

"No need to worry, I sent her off to look for you." He said calmly as he took a deep breath.

"But she was supposed to stay here and protect you?"

Lord Gohda walked towards me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"I am no coward, I do not hide from danger. If it is my time to go, then nature have me." He let go of me and turned around. "Besides, I have plenty of guards as well as you two." He said as he looked back at me. "I may be your Lord, but I am not your life. I thank you two for serving me and never betraying me, but my life is just as important as your life. I am simply a part of your life and for that I am grateful. I must let you experience and live your own life at times, though it may seem odd to you, but you are your own person and a good one at that."

I stood there confused, I was raised believing that Lord Gohda and the Azuma Ninja Clan were my whole life. Since the diminish of the Azuma Clan, I dedicated myself to Lord Gohda.

"Rikimaru, I am safe and well. You must go and find Ayame." He added.

"But I must protect you." I said calmly trying to argue.

"I've protected myself before you, and I can without you now." He nodded his head as he smiled. "If you do not go on your free will, then I will order you to go."

"But why?" I knew that I needed to protect him.

"An Azuma Ninja is the only way to find another Azuma Ninja." He added with a chuckle. "I order you to find Ayame and bring her back." He added sternly.

"Yes, Lord Gohda." I said even though I felt my bones telling me to stay.

"Rest now, there is no journey well done that may start without a good rest." He said as he got up and walked away. "Oh, and Princess Kiku misses you by the way. She has been very worried about you since you did not return."

He walked out as if he disappeared in the night.

I looked back down at my sword in defeat. "I miss her too." I said under my breath.