Chapter 1

NATHAN'S POV

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

I awake to the annoying sound of my alarm. I tap the snooze button and groan. Monday morning. I dread every morning that ends with -y. But I especially hate Monday mornings. I'm really not sure why everybody despise Mondays, but I do too.

I hesitantly rolled out of bed and walked towards my bathroom. I splashed my face with water and brushed my teeth. Turning on the shower, I lazily stripped my boxers and stepped into the shower, welcoming the scorching hot water that streamed down my shoulders.

As I stepped out, the water droplets dripping from my abs onto the white tiles, I cleared the mirror of steam and looked at my reflection. I didn't particularly like myself as in I have a big ego, but I thought I was a decent human being. Except you're not human, I thought to myself. I sighed and threw on a pair of jeans and a hoodie, completed with some Adidas. I made sure to leave a hint of cologne for the ladies and grabbed my keys and locked my apartment door behind me.

I walked down the sidewalk and entered my all time favourite café, Starbucks. I made a point of coming here on a daily basis. I was a well-known customer and often had animated talks with one of the baristas. I grabbed my pumpkin spice latte and left a tip, but as I turned around I stopped in my tracks. My eyes immediately spotted the familiar brunette. My breath momentarily hitched in my throat as I saw her sipping her Vanilla latte absent mindedly, while reading some Vogue issue. Typical. I rolled my eyes and made my way for the door, but was stopped when her angelic voice reached my ears, "Nathan?"

I turned around and widened my eyes as she smiled directly at me, and for a moment I thought that maybe there was a possibility of there being another Nathan in Starbucks but quickly eliminated that thought once I looked around and noticed no one else was paying attention. I plastered a smile on my face and kept my pace steady, hoping I my face didn't betray me and potray my total nervousness. "Erin, hi. Fancy seeing you here" I mentally facepalmed as those words left my stupid mouth. She giggled and I swear I was in Heaven. "May I?" I asked gesturing at the seat. She nodded and I made myself as comfortable as I can on the leather seat. "So what brings you here?" I asked. She raised her perfectly tinted eyebrows and motioned at her latte. "Mostly coffee" she answered, a hint of amusement lacing her voice. I chuckled, kicking myself for making such a fool of myself. "Yeah, anyhow... how are you?" Her eyes glinted as she began to express her well-being. "-and I've been writing a blog on the recent crime rate of the city." This caught my attention. "Crime rate?" I asked my voice raising a bit, but not enough to notice. She hummed in confirmation. "Yeah and there's a new vigilante in town, according to witnesses"

she informed me. I swore under my breath. I didn't know there was any witnesses that, I don't know, witnessed me. I was about to ask more about her blog, but was interrupted by the doors crashing down. A masked figure, most-likely a guy figuring from his 6'1" height, dressed in all black, how cliché, stormed in, holding a simple handgun in his hand aiming at one of the customers. "Everybody get down!" he shouted, however his mask muffled his words but everybody seemed to dive in under the tables on instinct.

And then the bullets began to rain down...