Chapter 32

NATHAN'S POV

Four months later

I push myself harder, my heartbeat pushing its limits. I end right in front of Cisco, panting and trying to catch my breath. "Three point sixty three seconds and you entered mock 3." Cisco noted with a nod. I groan out of frustration and punch the nearest object. The wall bent under my fist and left an unwilling dent. "You're doing good, Nathan. You've progressed a lot so don't be so hard on yourself," Erin said from a distance. She's been standing at the edge of the room the whole 14 hours I've been practicing. Minus bathroom and coffee breaks. This is the first time she's spoken directly to me in those hours. Lately I've been receiving the cold shoulder from her. I deserve every second of it. 

I shake my head, "Well not good enough! I used to get to mock 5 easily under 4 seconds but ever since Jason stole a portion of my speed I can't seem to get there. You don't know what you're talking about so back off," I snapped. I speed out of the gym. That was uncalled for but everything has been getting on my nerves lately. I just can't handle her silence and when she decides to finally talk, she gives me stupid advice. I sigh heavily and try to get my mind off of her.

ERIN'S POV

"Don't worry about him, he'll be fine," Barry directs toward me with sympathy. But I'm not fine. I smile gratefully and walk towards my room.  

It's been 4 months since Nathan has gotten seemingly weaker and slower. It's been 4 months since Jason has disappeared into thin air, which I'm glad for because that means my life isn't on the line. It's been 4 months since Nathan and I haven been avoiding each other. It's been 4 months since we've all been genuinely happy.

"I know a great coffee place if you wanna come check it out with me," and one month since we've found Caitlin and taught her to control Killer Frost. She's been wary of her own self-control but we encourage her to just go with her instinct. I smile and look at her, "That's just what I need right now."

Two hours later

I sip on my Almond milk iced latte and enjoy the joyful atmosphere in this little cafe. My phone vibrates against the table and the red notification alerts me of a metahuman at Star Labs. I look at Caitlin and we get up to leave.

Cisco is rapidly typing on his computer when he sees us, "There's been a breach opening at Jitters." Nathan and Barry speed away. I look at Caitlin. "I'll stay here for the moment but call if you need backup," She says and I look at Cisco for confirmation. "We'll be fine. Go!" I speed after Barry.

I see a huge portal in the middle of Jitters cafe. "I've secured the perimeter. There's no sign of a metahuman," Barry says. Suddenly I'm thrown forward and heat engulfs my backside. My ears ring and little shards of glass sprinkle around me. I groan as I hit the ground, but before I could get up an invisible force picked me up and choked me. I claw and kick at air trying to get a breath but my lungs are obstructed. Barry is thrown against the wall and Nathan is being sucked into the portal.I'm beginning  to lose consciousness and I close my eyes, preparing to die. The last thing I hear is Cisco's voice ringing through my earpiece, "Wait... I've found traces of Jason's speed particles in that explosion. Erin get out of there! Jason is most likely to come after you again... ERIN!"