Chapter 2

NATHAN'S POV

Screams of terror pierced through the air as bullets penetrated and ricocheted from the walls. He then stopped shooting his handgun and slowly approached the register counter. The poor barista was shaking uncontrollably. "Now we all know how this goes, so spare me the drama and just hand me over the cash" he said, plastering a smug smile on his face. The barista nodded fearfully and opened the cash register and handed over stacks of money to the guy, who looked like he was about to explode with laughter. He probably was feeding off of everyone's fear. Jerk. I gritted my teeth and was about to jump up and interfere, which would probably be a suicide mission, but was luckily stopped and saved by the wailing sirens, signaling the cops are on their way. The guy cursed loudly and stuffed the cash in a duffel bag and made a run for it. Soon the café was surrounded by flashing red and blue lights. I sighed in relief that nobody got hurt and helped Erin to her feet. She had a pain stricken expression on her face and I worriedly asked "Are you okay?" She only nodded. I think this would need a lot of  phycology to forget about. Her hands were shaking a bit so I decided to man-up and invite her over, "Would you like to come over to my place for some coffee?" She could only nod in return, but that was enough of an answer for me.

As we enjoyed a cup of coffee, we chatted a lot and caught up with each other's lives. Luckily Erin seemed to put this morning's event behind her for the moment as she laughed along to my jokes and remarks. Time seemed to pass by quickly as it was almost four in the evening when I got a call. I picked my phone up and excused myself for a moment. I looked at the caller, but the number was unknown. I pressed the little green button, but soon afterwards regretted it. For a few seconds only heavy breathing was heard from the other speaker. I thought it was only a joke or some sort of prank as it seemed like a scene from one of those cliché horror movies. I was about to end the anonymous call, when a gruff voice sounded through the speaker. "Hello?" I asked unsure. I waited a few more seconds until someone answered, "Nathan, we've been expecting your call". Confused I said, "But you dialed me?". The other person must've disregarded my statement as he went on, "Listen, we killed your family and digital photos will soon be sent to you as proof. We want revenge-" I then burst out laughing, "This is the dumbest prank I've ever heard!". Displeased with my outburst he said, "This is no prank, you fool!". "Then who are 'we'?" I asked challenging him. "That information shall remain confidential" he said. I frowned at this, they were definitely just some kids messing around. "And that girl  of yours will be next. Not a word of this to anyone" Now that caught my attention. Are they talking about Erin? How do they know about her? Am I being watched or followed? Questions ran through my mind, but I was soon interrupted by the click of my cellphone, indicating he hung up on me. I stared at the blank screen in disbelief. I was still unsure about the legitimacy of this call, but decided it was safer not to question anything for now. I couldn't help but feel as if the air was being sucked out of my lungs and an invisible force was squeezing my throat painfully slow.

I was harshly pulled out of my trance when Erin's voice rang through my apartment, "Nate, are you alright?". She found me standing in the hallway, completely frozen in a dazed state. She looked awfully cute when little wrinkles appeared on her forehead as she frowned concerned. I shook my head lightly and forced the oncoming tears of fear back down. "They're coming for you"

The question still remains...

Who are they?