Chapter 12

NATHAN'S POV

I looked at Barry nervously. What was one to do when you are searching for someone but you have no technology, no backup and no plan? Barry sighed in frustration and dragged a hand through his brown hair. "Let's head back to Star Labs and see if everyone's alright" he suggested. I nodded, agreeing and we sped back to the Star Labs Headquarters. 

When I entered the building, a chill passed through my spine, the usual cheery feeling was replaced with an empty eerie feeling. "Guys?" I called through the room. Caitlin and Cisco's heads poked throught the door and they looked like they were gonna wet their pants. I chuckled and I could see that Barry was trying to contain his laughter. They came out reluctantly and Cisco wiped imaginary sweat off his forehead. Then all seriousness dawned upon the room, resting on us like a heavy burden. "No Erin?" Caitlin asked, even though she knew the answer. Barry and I shook our heads in both shame and worry. "I've tried to bring the city's power back up, but the mainframe keeps kicking me out and then my laptop's battery died" Cisco reported. I tried to restrain myself and not lash out, I was worn out and tired but I can't give up on Erin. Not now. Not ever.

After hours of frustrated groans and hopeless sighs a hint of joy escaped Cisco's mouth as he stared st the lit screen in front of him.  "Guys I got the power back on!" he shouted with delight. He then rushed towards the main switch of the lights and flipped it back on. I hissed at the sudden exposure to light but we all cheered and Caitlin began typing away, searching for a lead to Erin. It took two more hours of impatient nagging from me and annoyed eyerolls from everyone else before Caitlin jumped up, "Found her- she's on Eleventh Avenue, but the place looks like it's in the progress of being renovated?" As she finished her sentence both Barry and I were already on our way there.

Shivers ran through my spine as I took in my surroundings. Eleventh Avenue was in the downtown area, and even though a few very succesful businesses were situated in downtown there were still little places that looked shadey. This was one of those places. I looked at the building Caitlin instructed us Erin was in, and a little wave of nausea hit me at the thought of the state Erin could be in. We checked the perimeter and once we were sure the coast was clear we entered the building. Pieces of rubble consumed most of the visible concrete floors and little rays of sun entered through the broken windows. The paint chipped off the walls and papers littered the area. I almost let out a shriek when a mouse scurried past- not that I'm afraid or anything. We went through another door and immediately my ears picked up the faint noise of whimpering. Barry must've heard it too, because he stopped in his tracks. We hurried after the sound and ended up facing a locked closet door. The whimpering could be heard clearly now as well as the sound of shallow breaths. Barry jiggled the doorknob but it wouldn't budge. He glanced at me and said "Stand back". I did as ordered and took a step back. Barry then did the unexpected and ran a few feet back before speeding towards the door, he then fazed through. A few seconds later he opened the door, leeting light illuminate the dark room, "It was locked from the inside" he explained. I nodded cautiously and stepped inside. The light from the door shined on a huddled figure, who was visibly shaking from the cold I assume. The figure was a girl judging from the long hair covering her face. Her whimpers died down but she still looked shaken up. I froze when the figure lifted up her head and her fearfilled eyes met mine.

My poor Erin looked broken.