|7|

Be careful my darlings. There are people 

out there that taste like fireworks and 

bliss, but leave ashes and warnings in the 

aftertaste of their kiss.

-Nikkita Gill

***

Alpha Jay was gripping the arms to his chair.

Her scent was invading the office.

It took all he had at the moment to not shove Doctor Schulman, Grace, and John out the door and cover himself in his mate's scent.

His mate.

They sat in the same meeting room where Doctor Schulman had first told Grace and John the bad news.

Now their eyes were filled with a different emotion. Hope.

Alpha Jay was proud of Doctor Shulman for working and finding this female. Not only to help his Beta but he had also brought his mate to him. Fate worked in mysterious ways.

His attention shifted over to his mate. Her eyes were hooded, a soft vibration coming from her chest as she took in his scent.

He wanted her.

She stood up then, her wolf exerting power over the room, showing that she oversaw this meeting. His wolf started to surface. The show of dominance was... Extraordinary. His hands gripped the arms to his chair tighter.

He didn't even know her name yet. But she invaded his thoughts, his senses. His everything.

In that moment though he finally could take in her attire. Alpha Jay had to dig his fingers into one of his palms to stop himself from laughing.

She wore a leather cord choker necklace that had a daisy flower charm in the middle, along with a flowing floral pattern skirt that reached to the floor, showing just the tips of her feet that wore sandals. Her shirt, however, was pink and said on the front, "Lettuce Turnip the Beet."

Grace laughed for him. "I like your shirt," she whispered in a hoarse voice.

His mate laughed. Goddess... her laugh...

"Thanks, buttercup," she warmly said.

Beta John cleared his throat, his wolf on edge and wanting to get Grace back home.

"Let me introduce myself first," Jay's mate said. "I'm a healer, but I'm also a doctor. My specialty though is in females, mostly just mothers who are expecting and the health of females," she smiled down at Grace.

"Here are all my documents saying I am certified to do surgery and prescribe medicine," she pulled out a folder from her tan backpack that looked like it had seen better days. She had only brought the backpack and a giant hiking bag. That was all her stuff.

"And here are the docs saying I'm a legit deal doctor," she said pulling out more papers.

John took them and examined them, before showing them to Grace.

She gave a small glance at them but didn't really read. Jay suspected she had won Grace over the moment she read "lettuce."

"So," the healer sat down, letting her eyes linger and examine her mate before she pulled them away. Alpha Jay savored that moment though when her eyes were on his skin. It sent heat down and through him.