|11|

I kissed her. 

She kissed back. 

How right the world was then. 

***

Six.

Jay drove up in front of the clinic, nervous energy surrounding him. He needed to control himself. She would be able to smell his fear and excitement, and would see the nervous tremors in his hands.

He didn't know anyone except his father who could make his hands tremble so much.

Jay got out of the truck, reaching for the clinic doors. They opened before he could touch the handles.

Daisy stepped out, meeting his nervous smile with her own.

His heart seemed to swell at the energy that ran through them. They both were on edge. Both not knowing where this would take them. But both wanting to explore.

Jay didn't touch her. Everything inside him wanted to take her hand and lead her to his car. But he didn't. His heart wouldn't have been able to handle it if he had taken her hand. He wasn't ready for even the smallest of contact.

She walked forward, a daring look in her eyes. He knew she wasn't afraid. That she loved the taste of adventure and looking the danger of it in the eye.

"How was work?" she asked, the first to break the silence.

He led her to the truck, opening the door on the passenger side for her. "Good," he responded. He closed the door then, walking around the truck slowly. His heart was racing. He didn't know what to talk about. Did he ask her how her day was? How did he ask what he wanted to know about her? Would she like him?

He squeezed his fingers into his palm, willing the sharp pain to bring him back to reality. He was acting like a sappy emotional wolf. And that wasn't how he was supposed to act. She would want a strong powerful wolf. The Alpha that he is and should be.

Manning up quickly, he opened the truck and took on a hard face.

"How was your day?" He asked. Good. That was a good start. His voice was even. No breaks.

He started the truck up and pulled it out, catching a glimpse of a smiling doctor Schulman watching from the window.

"As good as pie," Daisy said smiling, "Doctor Schulman showed me the layout of the place and I got to meet some females. There are several expecting mothers so I'll be helping Doctor Schulman..."

She talked more about her day. The females she met, their conditions, checking up on Grace.

Jay realized then that already twenty minutes had gone by and hardly a word had gone out of his mouth, except for the occasional question to probe her to talk more. Daisy could talk enough for the both of them. Something inside him seemed to deflate in relief.

"Where are you taking me?" Daisy had stopped her talking. She was looking at Jay with coy eyes, waiting for his response.

"Just a place that I think you will like," was all Jay said.

It wasn't that far a drive. Just about twenty something minutes away from the Pack House. Finally he pulled the truck into a winding dirt road.

Daisy switched her curious look every now and then from the window to Jay.

Finally they stopped and pulled over by a small lake. Getting out, Daisy gave a soft awe at the sight of water plants and hidden vegetation sprouting around the lake. Then she saw the large deck that overlooked the lake. On it were two wooden chairs and a table.