|46|

"It's sad."

"What is?"

"I mean, you ask someone about love and they tell you about heartbreak."

***

~DAISY~

Helen held her child, cooing softly to the little boy as Daisy held her own.

He was beautiful.

He already possessed thin, dark strands of hair, and had the most perfect, biggest blue eyes.

He was more beautiful than the other little boy. More beautiful than all the other children within the hospital.

She could smell his scent. His scent that still lingered with hers as she had picked him up to take back to the remote pack.

The Elder stepped in in that moment, aweing and laughing over his small little future Alpha.

"Wanderer," Daisy looked up, smelling the scent of another. Her eyes narrowed as she took in a woman before her, a woman who looked to be at least two months pregnant.

"This she-wolf is pregnant with triplets. She has traveled a long way from her pack to meet you. Her mate passed away just recently, and so there is little hope for the pups inside."

Daisy continued to stare at the woman, "I'm sorry for your loss."

The woman let one lone tear fall from her face, a sob breaking out from her mouth before she slapped a hand down, stifling whatever she could from escaping.

The elder continued to stare at Daisy before continuing, "She requires your help. Your blessing."
Daisy looked down at her little one.

She needed to get him away from this place. Away from this pack and strange land. This was not his pack. These people were not of his blood and of his wolf. He couldn't stay here.

"I need to take care of my son first," Daisy said.

"By take care, do you mean go back to your mate?"

Daisy hesitated before nodding. She disliked this Elder. Disliked his cleverness and manipulative ways. She hated when she encountered packs like this. Packs that took such obvious advantage of her and the blessing she offered.

"So you will let Angie and her pups die?" Angie sobbed, her cry ringing within the empty room as Daisy slowly closed her eyes. And that was how he won.

"Please," Daisy didn't even recognize her own voice as she begged this Alpha. In the past she would not have cared. She would have escaped in the night. Fought her way out. But that was the past. Before she had a little one. "Please just let me give him to his father. Then I will help Angie. With all my power and blessing I will help her."

Elder though shook his head, "Who's to say you will be able to leave once you are at your mates side again?"

This old man. He was clever. He knew the powers of mates. Daisy had been in a trance the first time she left. A blur. She made herself leave. Leave because she was scared of what Jay was offering. Scared of the permanent feeling within it. Scared that if she stayed a second longer, she would never be able to leave his side. And something about that thought, made her feel like all the air was leaving her lungs. Like she no longer was herself but slowly turning into something else. Something that wasn't her as the moon's wanderlust consumed her judgement.

She stayed silent as the Elder smiled. That maddening smile.

"You see the logical solution now, yes?"
She nodded, not daring to say a word.