|40|

A certain darkness is needed, 

to see the stars

***

~ATLAS~

I walked aimlessly down the dirt road.

Hands folding inside my black jacket, humming tunelessly. Signs of fall already invaded the trees as the color changed and fell around me.

I heard the sound of an approaching car behind me, and without turning, moved more to the side of the road.

However the sounds of dirt under tire slowed down and I glanced to my side to see a small truck ease beside me.

"Hey Atlas," Quinn grinned at me, looking me up and down.

I nodded my head politely. "Hello."

In terms of relationship, Quinn and I had none. She didn't let that stop her though. I always wondered if perhaps she was jealous that I would occasionally seek Lilah. Though they were twins, the two girls had opposite personalities.

I never saw Quinn without makeup adorning her face, and the latest style of clothing dressing her. She seemed to always be surrounded by a gaggle of others, and confusingly enough had a new boyfriend for each month of the year. Flipping to the other side of the coin, Lilah stood within the background, observing but never really approaching you unless you sought her out.

"Want a ride somewhere?"
I shook my head, "Just walking."
She continued idling to the side, debating something in her mind before she pulled the truck in front of me.

I stopped and stared at her actions, wary of what she would do next.

"Come on Atlas, let me take you for a spin," she gave me her winning smile. I felt small annoyance but held it down. Her dyed blond hair deliberately fell to the side of her face as she leaned towards me.

"No thanks Quinn. I'm good. Really." I stressed the last word, hoping she would get a clue. She stared at me a few more seconds before shrugging and flipping her hair back over her shoulder, "Fine, suit yourself. Don't say I didn't offer though."

I nodded, not breathing a sigh of relief until her truck had gone a distance down the road.

I continued my walk, until I looked at the forest. It was silent and inviting. The urge to go in there pressed against me as I changed paths in my direction.

Getting further within, I looked around cautiously before taking off the clothes that I had.

Unbeknownst to me, Quinn had saw me shift within the forest and changed. That moment began her weird fascination with me. Father had simply laughed at my complaining.

The training dad put me through everyday was hard, but because of it I was able to effortlessly shift and had already achieved expert ranking within the pack warriors. Though I was by far the lowest within their ranking.

I felt the change come over me and breathed in the deep smells of the forest as my senes fully came flooding into me.

Shifting now was second nature. I shook out my fur, loving the feel of it in the cool fall wind. I felt the pressing presence of another force in the back of my mind. My wolf. The soul that I shared.

Greeting it hello, I was returned with a warm feeling. A friendship. It was a bond that was slowly forming.

Running through the forest, I couldn't help the yip of happiness that escaped me.