|22|

"There's too much risk in loving."
The young boy said.

"No."
Said the old man.
"There's too much risk in not."

~ A T T I C U S 

***

"Quiet!"

The voices died down as Stephen turned to his Alpha. Jay kept his surprise inside as he stood and faced the group.

He read the weekly report, gave updates on the warriors and their conditions- congratulated the parents whose sons and daughters were moving up a level in training.

Then he allowed Stephen, his new Beta, to address the pack on the condition of his sister.

"Grace is doing good. John has stepped down as Beta to be by her side. I have taken over the responsibilities and have been promoted to be the new Beta. Thank you."

One pack member stood up, "Is this permanent or will Beta John be placed back as the Beta when the pups are born?"

"John," Stephen said between clenched teeth, "as of now, is no longer the Beta, but a prized pack warrior. The future is always uncertain, but I am the permanent Beta." Stephen's eyes glowed gold as he addressed the other males within the room, daring them to challenge him and his new position.

Jay silently leaned back and felt himself take a relieved breath. He had forgotten what it was like to have a Beta around. Another person to help you.

He glanced at Daisy and saw that she was watching him, smiling.

Another pack member stood up, this time a female. She nervously twisted her hands together and Jay could tell that her other friends, from the way they encouraged her and were pushing her up, had forced her to stand and speak for them.

"Um... I wanted to ask Alpha Jay...," She blushed as the room's attention focused on her but bravely continued, "What were your plans for future L-Luna?"

Jay angled his head to the side, watching the female as the room grew silent- observing and waiting for their Alpha's answer.

He honestly didn't know either though.

He glanced at Daisy and felt a bitter taste in his mouth. How could he explain to his pack that there was a possibility she might not stay? That she would instead come and go? They would never accept it.

Stephen stepped forward, "We will be addressing that within future meetings."

There was a collective sigh from the room. Mostly frustration from the pack, and relief from Jay.

He quickly left, like he always did, catching small phrases of conversations as he exited.

"John is such a good mate..."
"Giving up his position for Grace..."
"Do you think the Alpha doesn't like his mate?....."
"Why can't she be our Luna?....."

Jay felt Stephen follow him. He turned towards Stephen's office, and they silently entered.

Jay folded in on the couch, letting Stephen sit at his desk. Stephen was already aware that the Alpha didn't like anyone in his office.

"Thank you," Jay whispered.

Stephen nodded, "We have a couple of weeks now to figure out what we are going to tell them."

Jay looked silently at Stephen, partly in surprise again. Was this how a Beta was supposed to act?
He thought to what John might have done in this situation. Probably pat Jay on the back and tell him to figure it out by next meeting. But Stephen had said we. He was going to help Jay with his problems. He was going to help his Alpha.