|36|

Our lives may not have
Fit together,

but ohhh did our 
souls, 

know how to 
dance...

***

Jay sat watching the child play in the back yard. He laughed as the little boy jumped, trying to grab small fireflies before releasing them from his hands.

The boy ran up to Jay, who grabbed him and held him close.

He showed his father the small bug he had caught before it flew away. They both laughed as the bug landed on the boy's nose before flying off.

"Daddy," the boy shifted in his position as he clung closer to his father, "Where is mommy?"

Jay sighed at the boy's curiosity. He was at the age now where he questioned everything around him. He questioned why the sky was blue, why his father was Alpha, why he had fingers and now why he had no mother like the other children around him.

Jay had avoided the question, immaturely pretending he had not heard it the first time Atlas had asked.

Now though he was face to face and could not blame his failed hearing.

"Mommy is..." Jay looked around, desperately wishing that Jackie or Nova was here to help.

Suddenly his eyes found the moon that hung above him as an idea formed within his head.

"Mommy is up there," he said, pointing towards the moon.

Atlas looked up at the sky and back to his father wildly, "she's in the sky?"

He squinted his eyes, as if trying to find the illusive woman.

Jay laughed and shook his head, "No, mommy is with the moon."
The child paused to stare at the hanging orb within the sky.

"That moon?" He asked.

Jay nodded, "mommy is with that moon, yes."
"Why?" his curious eyes found Jay as he again searched for another explanation.

"The moon...needs mommy...,"

"What if I want mommy?" The child demanded.

"The moon needs mommy so she can help people," Jay whispered, holding the child close to him as he stroked his son's hair.

"When will she be back?"

Jay sighed. Atlas had never met his mother, but he couldn't resist his questions when he asked to see what she looked like. Jay only had a handful of photos, one of him and Daisy smiling into a camera, another of Daisy holding Grace's set of twins, and the last a photo Jay had taken of Daisy as she danced within the moonlight.

Atlas knew he had a mother, and had a vague idea of what she looked like because of it.

"She will be back...when the moon is done with her."

"When?"

Jay felt like throttling his own child to stop his endless questions.

"When she is done with her."

"When?" The child giggled at the repeated word.

"I said, when she is done with her," Jay laughed, fighting his way through and tickling his sons exposed belly.

The child giggled and laughed with explosive happiness as his father continued to tickle him.

"What's all this?"