Chapter 23

Lily's P.O.V.

I attacked the first one I saw. My combat skills came in handy as laid on him some good punches and one really good kick where the sun doesn't shine. Fighting again seemed to kick in my adrenaline, plus that potion Savannah fed to me. Knowing that I was actually out of the musty cell and in this battle to help not just myself, but the entire werewolf race encouraged me to dismiss everything that had happened since a month ago and unleash "beast mode". At that moment, I was fighting for our lives, but, of course, my back felt like it was repeatedly being smashed by steel.

I zipped through the rogues as best as my body state could manage, my tummy coming in as a metal ball to shove people back. Bad idea on my part because agony skidded across my stomach. Why is it like I've forgotten that I'm pregnant?

I wanted to go hug my family, but I knew that at a time like this a reunion was the last thing on anyone's mind. I was beyond relieved that they weren't actually dead. Without them I was broken and now that I have the chance to be with them again, who would I be to let that slip?

With a turn, I felt a cold stare on the back of my head.

I met the eyes of the dirty coward. Even from so far away I could feel the hatred he was letting off. Lionel stood between two of his rogues who, to be honest, had a slight look of terror on their faces. The three were standing near the entrance of the shabby-looking "palace" while the rest of us were planted in the surrounding field.

Lionel's scowl deepened as he left my face to look around at the battle. I could have sworn I saw as he flashed an emotion that I never thought the ruthless man could express: fear.

Who could judge him?

The wolves from our allying packs were fighting with so much spirit that I almost couldn't believe my eyes. They struck down any rogue that attacked and easily won.

With a newfound smile of confidence, I moved my eyes back to Lionel. That was quickly wiped off when Lionel took my necklace from the inside of his shirt. He gripped the pendant with grimy hands. This time, he had the smile of confidence.

I sneered and looked away, too late as a big, burly man smacked the back of his hand into my chest, sending me flying backwards into the trunk of a tree. Now that hurt. I managed to shakily stand up, my back sore from the impact. I could't heal quickly enough because of my lack of magic, and the babies were taking up most of my natural werewolf ability to heal. I had to suck it up.

"Make sure you're ready for this, big guy." I faked a confident tone and got in a fighting stance, peered into Big Show's eyes and anticipating his next move. He growled and I saw his hand shoot out to punch. Luckily, I swerved under his arm and jammed a punch to his gut. I winced as my own ears picked up the sound of my knuckles cracking. What is his stomach made of? Iron? Before I could comprehend the situation, Big Show had managed to kick me in the side, close to my stomach. Pain shot up my side and around my belly. I doubled over in searing pain.

Big Show had a look of satisfaction in his dark eyes. I sensed his slow, heavy steps nearing me. I was mad at myself for feeling so weak and defenseless, but my legs disobeyed my plea to get up. I closed my eyes, awaiting the hit to come.

One.

Two.

Three.

Huh?

"Hey, big guy!" My eyes popped open.

The man looked over behind me. I looked too. A deep smile escaped when I realized it was Taylor.

My brother looked a bit different to me. His dark hair grew longer and bangs swept his sweaty forehead. Taylor looked more buff and he had a new look of maturity in his brown, angry eyes. He held a dagger in his hand.

Taylor leaped over me and landed in front of Big Show. "That's my sister, Elephant Gut!" Taylor jabbed at Big Show with the dagger, but he moved out of the way. Taylor and Big Show kept circling each other, pouncing when they spotted a possible hit. Taylor pretended to lunge at the big guy, which distracted him enough so that Taylor could swoop in front him and ram the dagger into his stomach. Then down goes the Big Show.

I hauled myself up, the least bit recovered from my pain. "Taylor!" I wobbly stepped and stumbled backwards into his arms.

Taylor chuckled against my back. "I knew you'd miss me." I smacked him upside the head, just for miss of old behavior.

Taylor pulled us behind a near boulder. I faced him. "You're not looking too good. Did you--Holy Waters! Lily, you're pregnant!" He exclaimed in excitement.

"Yeah, I didn't notice the huge ball on my tummy." I said back with sarcasm lacing my voice.

Taylor rolled his eyes. "But how could you be fighting with a kid inside of you?"

"Two kids, actually." I corrected him, placing a hand on my tummy.

"You're having twins?" His excitement appeared once again.

"How about we talk about the babies later?" I suggested, peeping worriedly at the battle from behind the boulder.

"Right. Well, you can't fight so I'll have some of the pack warriors watch you somewhere away from here."

"Taylor, I--"

He held a hand up to stop me. "Don't be stubborn, Lily. I can't risk you hurting the three of you in this."

"But this is my battle. It started because of me and now I have to stop it before anyone else gets hurt." My confidence failed me. I was sure about wanting to stop this war, but I wasn't sure about me surviving it.

"Lily, you're being foolish. We have enough warriors on our side to overcome Lionel and Friends. I understand you want to settle this extreme conflict with Lionel but you are in no condition to take action." Taylor laid a warm hand on my shoulder. "You have a pack to take care of, people who need you, and babies for goodness' sake! "

My chin quivered. "And what about those who die in battle fighting for me? How do you think I would feel knowing that they sacrificed their lives to save me, who sat back and did nothing?" I wiped my eyes to clear them of any oncoming tears. "I've already made it clear to Chad that I will be fighting."