3: Jacob Meets Max

a/n:
banner at the top is made by AlinaLopez2

a/n:•banner at the top is made by AlinaLopez2

~Jacob's p.o.v.~

"Mikayla, I―I didn't mean it, I swear, I'm so sorry." I was about to reach and wipe the tears that she didn't get rid of. I didn't like seeing her cry, especially if I'm the reason. But right when I was going to swipe the tear drops, she caught me off guard by grabbing both of my arms with her ice-cold hands and pushed me backwards.

I walked backward till I was against a wall, sliding down so I was sitting as I heard her scurry away.

Like really, I just should've stayed at the back of the school with the guys. If we did stay, I would have never ran into Mikayla and gotten slapped (figuratively), though I did deserve it. Not only for what I said, but for everything.

The door slamming sounded at the same time the bell rang for the end of first period. The halls were crowded instantly and she got lost in the sea of students.

People were giving me weird looks and I was confused for just a second until I turned my head and saw a backpack swinging, about to hit me in the face. I was too engrossed in my thoughts about Mikayla that I forgot I was still in the middle of the hallway floor where I could get stepped on by a bunch of teens hurrying to get to class without being rewarded a one hour detention.

I screwed my eyes shut waiting for the excruciating pain when the weight of the backpack would connect painfully with my nose.

But it never came.

I slowly opened my eyes. The swing had stopped mid-air and I guessed the person had noticed me just sitting there. "Hahaha," someone laughed awkwardly. "Buddy I think you're going to get killed if you stay here like that," a friendly and unfamiliar voice said. I looked up to see a guy with hair that almost matched his honey colored eyes. "Here." He bent down and grabbed my hand to pull me up. "This is the second person I meet on the floor today." He chuckled, probably remembering the other someone who he had met earlier.

I looked at him. I don't remember seeing him go to this school.

"You new here?" I asked, smiling, hoping he didn't say, 'No, I've been coming here since freshman year,' because then he would think what ninety-eight percent of the people here—including staff—already do. That I was an ass.

"Yeah I am, Max Cody Bytes," he said his full name proudly, puffing out his chest, "from New York."

"Jacob Josh Burke." I felt the need to say my whole name, also. "Nice to meet you."

"Well Jacob Josh Burke, will you do me the honor," he bent down and got on one knee and took one of my hands, making me want to run away for a second before I found the joke, "of becoming the person that shows me the way to my second period class?" he asked me as if he just got shot with Cupid's bow.