8: Learn to Live

WARNING: abusive content

-

~Mikayla's pov~

~Mikayla's pov~

"Thank you for taking me to the fair." I turned to him as Jacob sat on the bike in my drive way after I had gotten off, hugging the stuffed animal to my chest. He stayed true to his word and made me get on all the rides there and didn't listen to a thing I said when I had tried to talk him out of big, scary ones. But aside from being held against my will to ride, we had a bunch of fun. So much fun it was almost two o'clock in the morning. "Do I still have paint on?" I asked, slightly tilting me head.

"No," he said. We had decided to wash off the paint (after taking pictures of course) before he took me to my house. He nodded and ran his hand through his mop of hair. "No problem. I was surprised you let me take you anywhere. I think if it weren't for this bike right here," he waved his hand on what he was seated on, "you wouldn't have came." He chuckled. Then he got serious. "You think I could pop in and say a quick hi to your dad?"

"Ummm . . . " I turned to the house and pretended to look for any signs if he was home. I had to force my hand not find its way to my bracelet. When I saw there weren't any lights on I turned back to him. "I don't think he's home like I said, he's either sound asleep or out with his buddies. Plus it's really late, why would he be up at a time like this?" I lied and put on a fake smile.

He jutted his lip out playfully. "Oh come on. It'll only be for a little and if he is not there or asleep, I'll leave," he compromised. "Besides, we're not supposed to be out this late and if I remember correctly he was always going out to parties and coming home later than this. He was a real cool guy."

Exactly, was.

I bit my lip. My father was most likely still out of the house with some clothes missing in his closet. But there was a slim chance -- but still very much possible -- that he had returned because he had needed something. That was the only reason he ever came back, but he never packed up his bags and left his wardrobe half empty.

I didn't want to raise Jacobs suspicions on whatever he was thinking. On TheZipper he had sounded like he suspected something was up. So I had to decided to go with my only option. "Yea, come on." I led him to the front porch steps and inserted my key in the keyhole. I pushed open the door and walked into the living room. My heart thudded painfully in my chest and only started beating against my rib cage harder when Jacob closed the door with more force than necessary.

I led him to the kitchen and den that were connected to each other after laying both of our jackets on the arm rest of the love seat to check if he was in there after confirming he wasn't in the living room.

"Who's there?" I jumped at the deep voice of my father coming from the top of the stairs.

Jacob walked back to the living room where the stairs were located and I hesitantly followed after him. "Hey, Mr. Winter!" Jacob waved up at my father. "How've you been?"