16: Just a Little Bit Closer

posted: November 20, 2014

a/n:
Happy birthday to me
Happy birrrthdaaayyyy to meeee
Happy birthday to me
-

That's right. The twentieth of november is my birthday. I am officially thirteen.

What's a better birthday present to yourself than take you story off hold?

-

~Jacob's pov~

~Jacob's pov~

I sat on the bench in the nurse's office with my legs bouncing and my hand supporting the weight of my head as it leaned against it. The second we brought Max through the door, the nurse jumped off her seat and aided him to another room in the back, not bothering to ask what was the cause of his injuries.

There was two things I was stressed about: Max, who was too weak to even carry his own self and trying to figure out who Mikayla liked. It could be Jesse, maybe even someone I didn't know. Maybe it was the guy Jason, the one Mikayla introduced to me earlier.

Yeah.

I sighed at the fact that one simple word she said could have such an affect on me. It kept playing in my mind, both haunting and taunting me.

Dropping all the thoughts of Mikayla after asking myself why I was worrying when I swore to myself that we shouldn'tâcouldn'tâhappen. I looked at the people around me. The girls were consoling Alyssa as she bawled her eyes out, and the guys looked like they were doing the same as I was a couple seconds ago, thinking deeply about the events in the parking lot and other questions.

The door of the room Max and the nurse rushed into swung open. All pairs of eyes were on that spot in an instant, as if magnetically attracted to something in the room.

We were hoping it was Max. But we all should have known the nurse doesn't have some kind of medication that would heal his nose, the black eyes, and maybe-bruised ribs. Mrs. Luareen, the nurse, stepped out and walked over to us.

"I made him a new ice pack for his eye, it should heal in a couple of days. The cuts are nothing to worry about, just put some disinfectant on it. He will have a bandage on his nose over night," she informed us.

"What about his ribs?" asked Alyssa as she sat up straighter, making the girls back away from her. Her nose was red and eyes puffy and bloodshot, some makeup was mixed with her tears making them have color as they cascaded down her face.

The nurse widened her eyes for a moment. "May I ask why his ribs may have to be looked at?"

"Two guys attacked him, he got kicked in the ribs several times," Mikayla answered for everyone.

She nodded. "Take him to the doctor," she sighed. "Just in case his injuries are more bruised."

We all nodded and headed toward the room Mrs. Laureen had taken Max into without her help because a teacher's aid I recognized entered the room after Mrs. Laureen finished her sentence. We all, or maybe just I, noticed the way the same aid's grimace as we passed, helping Max keep his balance.