Chapter 4: The Call

I'm sitting on my comfortable bed, on top of the blankets, just thinking. I look at Cameron's clothes on my desk. They are across from my bed near the window. It's been two days since he gave them to me and he still hasn't texted me. Has he been waiting? Does he even care? Was he simply just trying to be nice to me in the store the other day?

No Shawn! Shut up! Ugh. Why do I literally overthink everything in my life? It's just a text dude. Come on. It's not a big deal. He's probably just really busy or something. You know it's gonna happen eventually so stop stressing. I feel my phone vibrate in my hands. I look down.

Nash: Yo I'm coming over.

Shawn: On a Thursday?

Nash: You got a problem with it?😂🤷🏻‍♂️

Shawn: Nah man come on over. Mi casa su casa.

Nash: Narly🤙🏻I'll be there in like 10 minutes.

Shawn: See you soon

I lay back onto my bed. The pillow beneath my head feels awkward so I lean up, taking it from behind me and I shuffle it around in my hands. I lay it back behind my head and rest myself against it again. Perfect. After a few minutes on Twitter I hear footsteps coming upstairs. My door opens.

"Yooo." he says.

"Thanks for knocking." I say smiling.

"Shut up Shawn." he says, shutting the door behind him and plopping down on my bed. I put my phone down.

"You wanna watch--" my phone starts ringing. I look down at it, raising my right eyebrow. I flip it over displaying a random number. I look back up to Nash and then down at it again. What the hell am I supposed to? No one ever calls me. Not even my parents. I hate talking on the phone. What to do?

"Well are you gonna answer it?" Nash says. Of course Shawn. Answer it. Duh. I drag the answer cursor across the screen.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Shawn!" His voice calms my whole body. I can't see it but I know that damn boy is smiling.

"Cameron?" I ask, confirming what I already know.

"Yah man. Sorry I haven't called you sooner. I forgot honestly." Wow. It's not like it's been the only thing I've been thinking about for the past two days or anything like that.

"Me too." I say smiling, lying straight through my teeth.

"Well you can bring my clothes over after school tomorrow. If you want to." he says. So he's inviting me over? Ohh. Shut up Shawn. Ugh.

"Yah I can bring em over after school." Wait, do we go to the same high school? I wanna ask.

"Good. I'll be waiting for you. I'll text you my address." I hear him laugh.

"What's so funny?" I ask. I thought his smile was adorable; now his laugh. Great.

"Nothing, nothing." he says catching his breath.

"No I wanna know now." I say playfully. I'm secretly demanding it but whatever.

"Dude I'll tell you later. Ok?" he says whispering into the phone. "See you tomorrow."

"But-" the phone call ends. Damnit. I look at the phone screen perplexed.

"So who was that?" Nash says, moving his eyebrows up and down at me. Is he trying to hint at something?

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"Oh come on. I could totally tell you had a crush on that girl. What's her name?! Is it Janet from Health class? Is it-"

"Wait no Nash stop." I say awkwardly. "That was Cameron-"

"Cameron ohhh." he says, cutting me off. "Cameron who?" What the hell is wrong with him.

"Cameron Dallas, you dumbass. A guy." I say, matter-o-factly. Nash's mouth shuts and his eyes appear to pop out of his head. "Yah you r-tard." I say. I don't like the word retard.

"Shit dude." Nash says. "I didn't know it was a guy. My bad." He turns away smiling.

"What?" I ask. He doesn't turn around or answer. "Whhhat!" I ask again, hitting his shoulder. He turns around awkwardly.

"I just didn't know you liked guys, that's all." Nash says, raising his arms defensively. My heart starts beating fast. Why the hell would he say that? I feel heat rush to my face.

"I don't like guys Nash. I'm not a fag." I still hate that word. I figure if I use it he'll believe me. Nash still looks unconvinced. "What the hell Nash! Why would you even think that?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"It's just, the way you talked to him. It was like you were flirting."

"What do you mean?" I ask. I can hear my heart beat in my ears.

"I don't know how to explain it Shawn. Your whole face..... it just kind of lit up....... and you were smiling like an idiot........ and just your voice was different........ and you just kinda looked like I do when I talk to Ashely." This just makes my heart beat faster. What if he finds out I do think Cameron is pretty hot? That doesn't make me gay does it? No Shawn! You're not gay. Stop it. You're not like that.

"I think you're just crazy." I say smiling. Come on Shawn say something else. "Besides, I have a date tomorrow." Why is it so easy to lie? I guess just years of practicing on others. Nash's eyes soften at my response.

"Really man?" he smiles.

"Yah. And I'm not telling you anything about her." I say smiling.

"Why not man? Come on, you tell me everything!" I'm glad you think that. I'm such a shitty friend.

"Cause you just called me a fag!" I say, pointing out his previous accusation. I feel horrible for using that word again. Why though?

"Dude you know I was just messing around. I know you're not a dick sucking faggot." he says laughing. I seriously can't believe my ears right now. Why would he say something like that? Why am I getting so defensive? Ugh I don't wanna think about it.

"I'll tell you about it if things go good." I say to him.

"Like if my boy finally gets some action?" he says raising his eyebrows, nodding his head, smiling like an idiot,  and hitting my knee.

"Shut up." I say laughing. Good job Shawn. You did really good covering up. Wait not covering up! Because there's nothing to cover up because you're not gay. You just think Cameron's hot. And maybe a few other guys too but you're not gay!

"You got any food?" he asks.

"You know where to find it." I say smiling. He gets up and walks out of my room, downstairs. I let out a deep breath. One lie covered up. Now I just gotta cover up this lie. I need to find me a 'hot babe' to take out tomorrow. Oh shit.