Chapter 24: I Wanna Kiss the Boy (And Do Other Things)

"River is like a dream Tessa." I say to her through the phone. "He is so sweet and adorable and nice and ughh." I say.

"I knew you'd like him." she says laughing.

"So I need advice about something." I say slightly nervously.

"What's that?" she asks. I really hope she doesn't laugh at me.

"Ok well like I've never like done anything with someone else before." I take a second to think how to phrase this. "Sexually." I add.

"I don't understand what you're asking?" she says laughing.

"How do I make myself look like what River wants?" I say, biting my bottom lip.

"You mean how do you look sexy?" she asks laughing more.

"Kind of." I say embarrassed. I close my eyes in defeat.

"That's completely understandable. You're worried he's gonna see you naked and not like what he sees?"

"Exactly." I say, she's taking the words right out of my head. "And like it's not even that we're going to have sex because I don't think I'm ready for that but like I wanna try other things and I just don't wanna look ugly for him." It feels slightly odd asking Tessa for this advice.

"Well honestly Shawn-" My phone starts vibrating against my face.

"Hey hold on I'm getting another call." I say to her.

"Ok." I pull my phone off my face and look at the screen. My heart falls to the bottom of my feet. Cameron's name runs across the top of my phone. I just sit there looking at it. I honestly can't even move my hands. After a few seconds the call goes to voicemail. I pull the phone close again. "Hello?" Terra asks. "Shawn? You still there?"

"Yah." I say finally.

"Who was it?"

"It was no one. Don't worry about it."

"Ok well back to what we were talking about."

*****

After Tessa and I finished our conversation I laid in bed looking at the missed call from Cameron. Why did he call me? I go to the calendar on my phone. I'm trying to find what day the dance was. It's been 24 days since I last saw him. It's been almost an entire month since I've talked to him. That's crazy. Those first few days were pretty bad, but after that it's gotten easier. It just pisses me off that he completely cut me off and now after 24 days he has something to say. Fuck him. Things are looking like they're actually starting to turn around for me. Nash is coming over today and I think we're gonna make up and I'm talking to this really amazing guy. My phone vibrates. It's a text from River.

River: Hey cutie

That made me smile.

Shawn: wyd

I'm so boring when it comes to texting.

River: Thinking about you.

Why's he gotta be so cute.

Shawn: Wutcha thinking about?

River: About how we should be hanging out right now.....

Shawn: Why aren't we?

Now I'm smiling.

River: You could come over to my apartment.

Shawn: What do I tell my parents?

I get up and start getting ready. I wanna go spend time with River.

River: Tell them you're going out with some friends and you'll be back later.