Chapter 2: Addressed To Chris

If you guys ever get bored with romane, why don't you guys try my latest story 'The Monument of Exodus'.  It's scifi. No? Nobody? Fine, enjoy. >.<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~You know how I feel.  This thing can't go wrong.  I can't live my life without you~

"A message in a bottle?"  Danny asked me as we went in the kitchen.

I smiled.  This was the first time I had felt kind of excited or, at the very least happy about something ever since the break-up.  The cork was a little difficult to open but after a few minutes, it budged open.  I took the paper.  It was a sturdy piece of oslo paper and I was amazed at how dry it was.  Not a drop of water had laid itself on its smooth surface.  I cleared my throat and read it out loud.

"My love,

I don't know why I bother to do this.  Maybe it was the slim chance that you would receive this humble message from me.  I had made the worst mistake of my life.  I broke up with you and I cannot forgive myself.  No amount of happiness can make me forget you.  You were my everything and I feel so stupid for letting you go.

My life is a mess.  I was always taught that to get what I want I'd have to let go of a few things.  I just can't believe that you were the one I had to let go.  When we broke up, my world shattered.  How I wish I could see you again.  I try my best to live my life everyday and get you out of my mind but that's impossible.  Our years together were the best years of my life.  I can’t bring myself to relive that one moment and yet, I see it everyday before I go to sleep.  They say that it is better to be alone than unhappy but I don’t believe in that for my case.  If I were together with you, I would be unhappy.  All my dreams are gone and if I look into your face, I would blame you for everything but now I am alone and the grief I feel is worse than anything I’ve ever felt before.  When singers croon and belt out my favorite songs, I see the sadness in their faces.  I can really feel that everytime they sang that song, a little piece of them remembered why they wrote that song and I couldn’t relate to them before.  I would just think that the song was great but now I know how they feel and that is how I feel about you, Chris.  Adele was always one of my favorite singers, you know?  And now, I quote her.  We could’ve had it all.  Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead.  Where love is lost, your ghost is found.  Never mind, I’ll find someone like you…

No.  I can never find someone like you.  Chris, you are irreplaceable.  If you don’t come back to me, I will die alone.  I promise myself that.  We were better than any of those couples people revere over.  I feel so much more grief than Juliet ever did.  When Romeo died, she died along with him out of love but when you left, I was still alive.  The punishment I was given was so much worse than Juliet’s.  I live everyday thinking that you are somewhere else probably having a great time with a girl who is nothing like me.  For me?  Every man I meet reminds me of you.  Please come back, Chris.  I miss you so much.  Everyday I wish that when I open my door, I’d see you standing there goofily and then, we would kiss…just like in the movies.  Chris, if this really is you, please come and find me.  You know where I am.

Yours forevermore,

L."

I was quiet.  This is NOT a coincidence.  This was fate talking to me.  I was convinced of it.  It was addressed to a man named Chris and came from a woman who broke up with him even after their many years as a couple named L.

Lindsey.  I miss her so much.  Is she really suffering as she says?  When we broke up, I was so mad that I didn't even want to look at her.  I didn't know if what she felt was anger or sadness...  I might've looked angry but deep inside me, anger could never replace the sadness.  Lindsey was my whole world.  You don't just forget things like that.  That's what ten years does to you.  Even now after we broke up, I still feel the ghost of her presence haunting me in everything I do.  Maybe this letter was a sign.  For a year, people have been telling me to get over her and as much as I want to, I couldn't and didn't want to do it.  A year later, here comes a sign.  But what kind of sign was it?  Was it a sign that our love was meant-to-be?  That it was still worth holding on to?  Or was it a sign that I really had to let go?  That I was foolish to think that this little message could lead me to Lindsey?  That I could be stupid enough to believe that this message flowed from Milan, Italy all the way here to the little town of Oaksville?

"Chris?  Chris!"

I opened my eyes and let go of the letter.  It fell to the ground and I picked it up.  I had spaced out there for a moment.  I even forgot that Danny was in the same room as me.  His eyes were filled with confusion.  This was the last straw, I guess.  This had defeated Danny's many attempts for me to get over Lindsey.  Even if I had forgotten Lindsey and had a wife and children maybe, one look at this letter and I would leave all of them at the small hope that I could find the one that got away.

"Sorry." I blinked.

We had a moment of silence, which was a little weird especially with Danny in the room.  He was usually the life of the party and now, he was assessing his thoughts on the letter.  He had a huge hunch on what I would do.  Unfortunately, I knew that his hunch was right.

"You're going to find Lindsey, aren't you?"  He said.

I nodded.  "I have no choice, Danny.  This letter...it's fate!  I can't just ignore this.  All you people ever say to me is 'Get over her!  It's been a year already!' but what about my side of the story?  Or Lindsey's side of the story?  This letter...I know L is Lindsey.  All the pieces of the puzzle fit perfectly. I know it's her and you read it, she's miserable.  I have to find her. "

"Chris..."  Danny tried to talk to me.

"I know what you're going to say.  This is insane.  It's crazy.  Stupid.  But that's love...bitch."

Danny chuckled.  "First of all, I love that bitch touch.  Good job, bro.  Second, as much as I hate to say it, you've got a point.  This letter is just so...you.  This is from Lindsey, all right."

I took a seat then asked him.  "So, you're not going to stop me?"

He rolled his eyes.  "Like I said, there's no stopping you, man.  Trust me, I've tried.  So, yeah, I think you should go to Italy and find your...true love."

My eyes widened.  Wow.  This letter is just making magic.  "Thank you, man."

"But not without me."  He grinned.  "We're going first thing the day after tomorrow.  We pack tomorrow then, I'll book us the first flight!  This is going to be our best adventure yet!"