Chapter 18: The Shortcut and Song Selection

Hope that I can upload this tonight while I'm having fewer schoolwork today.  I almost might upload tomorrow.  Cross you fingers and enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recap~

"Chris, what is she talking about?" Lea turned to me and asked with this slight fear on her face.

"Lea," I answered.  "She's the solution to our problem."

"Ready to be a star again?" Mrs. Van Dam smirked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Two strangers learn to fall in love again.  I get the joy of rediscovering you.~

 Lindsey looked over from side to side with the same confused look Lea had.  I couldn't blame her.  She had just arrived and didn't know anything about Oaksville and if you didn't live in Oaksville, you didn't know Emma Van Dam.  She's instrumental to my plan.

I have a strong feeling about my plan.  I don't want Lea to go through everything that I went through when I looked for Lindsey.  This plan although not fool-proof, could work. I have a feeling.  I mean, I should be an expert about these kind of things, right?

"Can anybody explain, please?"  Lindsey spoke up.

"Get her out of this house." Lea demanded giving Mrs. Van Dam and me both deadly glares.

"Ooh, looks like Ms. Jansen's finally got that attitude I wanted."  Mrs. Van Dam and continued to smirk at the shattered Lea.

"Trust me." I insisted.  "This is going to work.  Everybody just has to cooperate."

"I am not working with her again!"  Lea yelled.

"Looks like the city of lights did take its toll on you."  She shot back.

"STOP IT!"  Lindsey yelled.  I wasn't really surpised.  I mean, if Lindsey was ever lost, it wouldn't be for long.  She'd alway find a way to understand things and get through it.  Everybody was silenced at her powerful voice.

"Good." She said lowering her voice.  "Now, someone tell me who this woman is."

"Emma Van Dam was the biggest producer about a few years ago."  I answered.  "Everybody in Oaksville who wanted to be a huge hit went to her...and based on our recent conversation, I'm guessing that Lea was one of her customers."

"Yes,"  Lea agreed crossing her arms.  "She may be the biggest producer here but being her customer is one of the worst jobs in the world.  I used to be one of her back-ups."

"Back-ups?" Lindsey asked.

"That means that I'm not her major priority yet.  Back-ups are usually teenagers who are still in high school or college." Lea answered.  "In my case, I was in high school. In my senior year, I was finally moved out of back-ups list and got her attention.  I was supposed to be the opening act for that year's annual Christmas fest here in Oaksville...but then she started making me...do things."

Mrs. Van Dam instantly cackled with laughter.  "Do things?  I was preparing you! Nobody wants a quiet star. You get that popular badgirl image and everybody would love you!  And because you didn't listen to me, look at where you are now."

Lea roared and headed straight for Mrs. Van Dam but thankfully, Lindsey and I pulled her back before she could do any real damage.

"What did she make you do?"  Lindsey asked.

"She told me I had to dye my hair blonde with streaks of pink, wear these absolutely revealing clothes and most importantly, she-"

"Made you break up with Chris." Lindsey finsihed for her.