Chapter 26: 117

++++++

The gang got back to Beacon Hills to find that it was well in the early morning and it was raining pretty hard. They headed off for the animal clinic and stopped off at the entrance. They got out of the jeep, taking Derek and Sabrina with them and ran on inside. During the whole trip back, Derek and Sabrina had been out cold and they were starting to worry. Deaton had been waiting for them since Scott had called him and asked to get everything ready so that they could check Derek and Sabrina out. They moved the two to the operating tables and set them down.

Deaton's eyes widened as he looked at the faces he hadn't seen for a few years as it had been grown into somebody else. "Wow," was all he found himself able to say. Stiles gave him a look. "Wow? Wow as in 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do' kind of wow? Because that's the kind of wow we're hoping for." Now Deaton gave him a look. "I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

Lydia grabbed Derek's hand and it felt like ice. "He's cold. Really cold." Stiles grabbed Sabrina's hand and shivered at the coldness. "So is Sabrina." 

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott asked as Deaton moved to start analyzing him. Deaton looked the two teenagers over as best he could but he wasn't really sure what to look for. "I'm not even sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate. This is well beyond my experience."

"So, what do we do with them?" Stiles asked. "Until they wake up, probably not much," he told them. "It might be best to leave them here with me. They will be safe here." "You mean from Kate," Stiles said to him. Deaton nodded. "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk pass that gate." Yes, Scott had a vivid memory of when Peter had been looking for him and couldn't get passed Deaton's gate to get to him.

"Why would she want to do this to them?" Lydia asked. "Knowing Kate, it was probably for a reason that won't be good for anyone but her." "And bad for everyone else," Stiles mumbled. He had a brief encounter with Kate himself but that was more than enough for him to know that she was bad news. 

"You guys should probably go home. They do not look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It is a school night and you all need to start taking care of your own lives again." said Deaton. But Scott shook his head. "Someone should stay with you."

Scott then looked over at Stiles, expecting him to already be looking back at him but his eyes were still locked onto Sabrina's unconscious body and his hand still held hers in his. Scott knew that Stiles wanted to be the one to stay with Sabrina. 

Lydia moved to squeeze Derek's hand. "I'll stay," she told them. They looked like they were about to start arguing but she cut them off. "My grades are fine. Despite missing a few classes." But Stiles shook his head. "I'm so not okay with this."

Scott sighed as he let himself give in. "Text us if anything happens." She nodded but Stiles still shook his head. "Nope, still not okay with it," he said to them. But Scott moved to grab Stiles by his jacket. "Let's go. It'll be fine." 

Stiles tried to fight Scott's hold but he eventually faltered and let go of Sabrina's hand. "All right, just because you're stronger," he defended as he was pulled away. Deaton then moved off while Lydia settled herself in between Derek and Sabrina.

++++++

Scott quietly stepped inside the house so as not to wake his mother. He tip toed in but stopped when he spotted someone on the couch. It was his father. He was fast asleep and Scott didn't want to wake him. He just tried to sneak out of there but he hit a metal tool box on the floor and some tools spilled and made a lot of noise as each hit the floor. It stirred his father awake and they went on to share an awkward look with each other.