Chapter 14: More Bad Than Good

++++++

Scott was running through the trees, trying to find the coyote. That coyote was a shapeshifter. It was Malia Tate. He had to find her. Help her. But he couldn't find any trace of her. Scott couldn't focus his senses and use them as he still didn't fully have control of himself. He was practically racing through the woods blind.

Stiles and Sabrina had wandered off and noticed something in the brush when Scott's roar sounded through the darkness. They moved about, trying to find Scott. Sabrina picked up Scott's scent and Stiles followed after her, using his flashlight to find Scott.

The three ran through the tress and almost bumped into each other.They gave out scared shouts until they realized that it was only each other. "Oh, it's just Scott," Sabrina breathed out.

"I think we found something," Stiles said to him.

"So did I," Scott breathed out.

Stiles and Sabrina then moved and led Scott to what they found. It was a small cave where there were a few things scattered about. "It's a coyote den," he explained. "Werecoyote," Scott corrected him.

A werecoyote. Something new to add to the list of weird and bizarre things that they had come across. Malia had shifted into a coyote and had been the one that attacked her mother and sister. It wasn't a werewolf attack. It was a shapeshifter losing control of itself and had innocent people caught in its cross-hairs. When Scott had first turned, he had been terrified of finding himself in something like that and struggled to keep from living that nightmare. But it seemed that the nightmare had been Malia's reality.

Stiles moved over and picked up a small jacket. "You see this? This is Malia's. Remember, it's the same one she was wearing in the photo." Scott then looked about at the other human things that were gathered in the den. But Scott dropped it. "We shouldn't be in here." "What do you mean?" "She's not going to come back now. We just invaded her home," explained Scott. "Our scent's going to be everywhere."

"If she's not going to come back here then where's she going to go?" Scott shook his head. "I don't know."

Stiles gave the den another look. Malia had been a coyote for eight years and had been living here in this place. It shouldn't be too hard to track her now. "Can you two track her now? You two think you got her scent?" 

But Scott shook his head. "Maybe. But I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf." A pit fell into his stomach. "I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back." "I may be able to track her down," said Sabrina but she paused. "But what if I find her and see blood all over my hands? I might end up thinking that I killed her." 

Stiles sighed. "The door's still open," he said despairingly. Scott's powers were out of his control. Sabrina sees blood all over her. They wouldn't be able to get to Malia yet.

"If we can't get to Derek, we're going to have to find someone else to help." Scott gave the place another look. "This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss's league."

Stiles' eyes widened. "And more my dad's."

++++++

Soon enough, Sheriff Stilinski had been called and he arrived with a few of his deputies to the coyote den. Scott and Stiles were waiting patiently off to the side watching everyone pour over the entrance to the den. The Sheriff was making his way out, in hand with Malia's jacket. He looked over and saw the Scott, Stiles and Sabrina standing off to the side and watching everything tensely. He excused himself from his deputies and walked over to them. "You sure it was her?"

"I looked her right in the eyes, and they glowed just like mine and Sabrina's," Scott told him. Stiles nodded. "It makes sense, dad." But the Sheriff was shaking his head. "But it wasn't a girl. It was a four legged coyote, right?"